Skip to main content

Ephesians 4:11-16

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.  Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love."

    We need to be mature Christians because not everyone who stands up and reads the Bible is actually delivering a message of God to us.  Remember, when Satan tempted Jesus in Luke 4, he used (misused) Scripture to try and convince Him to throw Himself from the pinnacle of the temple.  This requires that we be in the Word and be shrewd discerners of the men claiming to be called by God to preach. 

    False teachers will use new doctrines based on misused passages from the Bible.  They will draw men away through sharp wit and cunning.  They will be crafty and deceitful, concealing their lies beneath the cloak of God's Word, twisting and using it however they please.  To combat these men from destroying His body, Christ gave men to lead them in ministry.  We are all in ministry.  The body of Christ is one and has one mind and one goal--leading men to Christ and establishing His Kingdom.  Those ordained as the leaders of the body are responsible to equip and hold accountable those entrusted to their keep. 

    We cannot be satisfied with reviewing the basic Gospel principles day after day and week after week.  Hear God's words from Hebrews 5:11-14: "We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.  In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!  Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.  But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil."  If we are no growing, we are dying.  Paul makes clear in Ephesians 4 that the goal Christ has ordained for His body is to grow.  We are to grow in love and we must grow in knowledge in order to do so.  We must grow as a body in Christ.  He holds us together and commands us to abide in His love (John 15).  We must grow in faith in Christ and knowledge of Him.  We ought to strive for the fulness of Christ.  We must not be satisfied with the elementary principles of Christ but must strive to learn the depth, breadth, length, and height his love is.

    The other option is to be like a helpless ship lost at sea, bouncing around wherever it takes us.  Each waves knocks us this way and that, believing whatever enters our ears.  We must not be like impressionable children who will believe whatever anyone says.  We must be instructed by God through the faithful reading and preaching of His Word and grow into mature manhood.  We are not a ship on the ocean; we are being built in a building the foundation of which is Christ and the Apostles.  We must attend to these things or else we will forever be able to take only milk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary