Skip to main content

1 Timothy 1:3-7

"As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions."

    So, internet theologians abound.  Many of them desire to teach, which Paul doesn't reprimand.  In fact, we hear other places that he who desires the office of overseer desires a good, but heavy, office.  Teaching while yourself being ignorant...that's not so good.  Thankfully, as a Christian indulges in the meat of the Word of God, he grows and learns and is able to teach.
   
    Many of these people, and regular church theologians, seem to promote speculation over the truth of God's Word.  I'm sure every teacher, writer, blogger, etc, being imperfect, has done that before.  Subjecting our hearts and wills to the Word of God must be a constant battle we fight.  We must daily submit ourselves to God.  Teachers especially must do this.  The tendency to enjoy fame and/or influence at any level can get to a teacher.  They must constantly read and live the Word's call to humility.
   
    So, Paul says we need to avoid pointless discussions, frivilous speculations, and self-serving arguing.  That is a convicting thought.  Anyone who loves theology and loves to debate knows it's hard to determine where iron sharpening iron becomes worthless arguing.  Motives are an important determiner, and yet, who truly always has perfect motives?  I wish I did, but I can't say that I do.  The need to be right and for other people to admit that often clouds and overpowers the desire to make God's truth known.  It's a pride thing.  Does this mean we should do as they used to in the Golden Years and just avoid discussing religion.  Certainly not!  We need instead to check ourselves constantly while searching the Scriptures for the truth of God, humbly accepting our own limitations and showing deference, patience, and love to others.

    As Christians learn and teach and grow and preach the aim should be, as Paul says, love that issues from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith.  Discussing those in detail would fill a whole different post (and it might), but I just want to hit on the idea here for a second.  If we want to avoid selfish, prideful, and divisive behavior, we need these three things.  We need a heart filled with love for others, not self-advancing gain.  We need to search ourselves for good motives.  We need to make sure that Christ and our faith in Him is at the core of all discussion we have theologically, ethically, and philosophically.  Swerve from these and you're guaranteed to wind up somewhere you just don't want to be.  Good teaching must be focused teaching, and that focus must always be on the cross, the Savior that was nailed to it, and the instructions He gave to guide our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary