Skip to main content

Late

We find Oliver (Oly to his friends) travelling down 77 South, nonplussed and road-raging.

He was having one of those days.  He had felt exhausted as soon as he had torn himself from his pillow and he had already had a long day before the Eastern Time Zone reached 9:00 A.M.

He was annoyed with the sun in his eyes.  He was annoyed with the inane radio show hosts.  He was, above all, annoyed with his fellow motorists crawling down the expressway.  Obscenities and fossil fuels filled the air as impatient drivers fought bumper-to-bumper traffic in a doomed attempt to make it to work by 9.

"Just my luck," he thought aloud.

Oly dreamt of having a job to which he could be late, and, accordingly, was en route to a job interview at an IT start-up.  It was not the most prestigious job opportunity in the world, but it was significantly more prestigious than the burger-flipping he had been doing for the decade since his high school graduation.

As he checked the clock frantically, he felt the opportunity slipping through his sweaty fingers (he is a nervous sweater).  He inched along until he finally reached his exit, only to be greeted by detour signs.  Orange cones and barricades stood in between him and his future.  Alanis Morissettes's Ironic began to play on the radio.  He screamed a little as he swerved and found his way to the next exit. 

The clock read 9:14.  Exiting the expressway a mile south of where he wanted to be, he punched the gas pedal of his '97 Chevy Camaro and pushed it for all it was worth (which wasn't much at this point in its career).  The traffic jam from the expressway had spilled over to the city streets as his fellow motorists were as equally rerouted.  Thankfully, Oly was the king of the back roads!  He honked and swerved and executed perfect rolling stops at every stop sign he found.

Oly's dangerously-bald tires squealed as he entered the parking lot at 9:32.  The start-up was located in a small office space that lay beneath the shadows of taller, more established businesses.  He parked abruptly and jumped out of his car, straightening his zipper tie as he ran towards Suite E.  As he approached the simple structure, he noticed a crowd gathering.

"Great," he thought, "now I'll never get in!"

As he drew closer, he saw the revolving lights of police cruisers bouncing off of the skyscrapers.  Uniformed officers were unrolling crime scene tape as detectives in plain clothes implored the crowd to disperse.  Paramedics stood around listlessly.

"What happened?" Oly asked no one in particular.

A grim-faced old man replied, "Nobody knows for sure.  We heard gunshots about a half hour ago.  Nobody's come out of the building since."

Oly stood there silently, the color instantly draining from his face.

"What's wrong, son?" the old man asked.

"I...I was supposed to be here for a job interview at 9, but I got caught in traffic."

"Well," the old man said wryly, "it looks like you chose a lucky day to be late."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary