Skip to main content

Why Stores Raising the Age to Buy a Gun is a Good Thing

A few stores, such as Wal-Mart and Dick's, have raised the age to buy a gun at their stores, and 2nd Amendment advocates are up in arms (pun intended) about it!  To many a hillbilly (I mean that in the best possible way--I come from a long line of hillbillies), Wal-Mart not selling their 18-year-old a shotgun is pretty much tantamount to Armageddon.  I would argue, however, that this actually a good thing.  You see, that's what freedom is all about.  Wal-Mart should be free to sell, or not sell, a firearm, or any other product for that matter, to any person they please.  You, as a private citizen, are free to shop elsewhere.  Wal-Mart has no obligation to sell you anything!  That's how this system is supposed to work.

We must be consistent here, folks!  If what we really want is the government to stop regulating guns, then we can't demand that the government force stores to sell guns at the legal age.  That's still regulating guns.  I would argue that the government shouldn't even establish a minimum age (no one cares what I think because I'm just a non-interventionist libertarian!), but they certainly shouldn't force proprietors to sell at that age.  Purveyors of firearms are free to establish their own minimum age to buy any given product.  They should be free to do this based on a) their potential liability, and b) their political/religious views.  

That's why this is actually a good thing.  If stores take the initiative and raise the age, then the government won't have to.  The less involved the government is, the better.  Let the free market sort things out!  So, don't worry, people of Wal-Mart!  By establishing their own restrictions, Wal-Mart is actually helping to avoid added legislation!

Herein lies the problem.  Many of America's modern "conservatives" have essentially the same view of government intrusion as liberals do--they're all for it!  Liberals and conservatives have different agendas that they want enforced, but they agree on Uncle Sam enforcing theirs.

If we truly want freedom, as we so often claim, then we must be consistent.  This freedom extends to business no less than it does to individuals.  No one should be able to force you to buy something, and, conversely, no one should be able to force you to sell something.  It's really that simple.  If I don't want to sell my products or services to Joe Schmoe because I think he smells bad, that should be my right.  If I don't want to sell you something because of a religious, philosophical, or cultural reason, I shouldn't have to.  That's what the free market is all about!  Sometimes freedom means people are allowed to be jerks and bigots.  The answer is not restricting everyone's freedom to eliminate the possibility of someone being refused service for the wrong reason.  The answer is to let the free market work itself out.  If I capriciously choose those with whom I will do business, I will probably not be in business very long.

So rest easy, NRA members!  Let the free market work!  Find somewhere else to buy your gun.

P.S. Incidentally, I actually bought my first gun (basically this, but with the sand camo finish--it was on sale) at Dick's at the age of 18 or 19.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary