Skip to main content

The Most Important Government in the World

It seems that the world is all about government these days.  When anything bad happens, we lobby for more and more regulations.  Shootings?  Regulations.  Obesity?  Regulations.  Somebody is offended?  Regulations!! 

Our operational principle is that regulations will solve our problems.  What that really means is that we believe that the government will solve all of our problems.  We, moderns that is, are almost universally Statists.  The State is our god, establishing our morality and granting us our rights.  If there is a problem, ol' Uncle Sam will fix it!  Dare to suggest that the government shouldn't be involved in education, healthcare, or charity, and you'll be labeled as a heartless white Evangelical!  What could be worse?

Well, government is a good thing, ultimately, or at least it should be.  Government is ordained by God to execute His justice, which means that it is our responsibility to respect and to submit to it.  This Biblical principle, however, cannot be divorced from the Biblical principle of self-government.  All forms of government ultimate revolve around this foundational principle of self-governance.  If individuals will not govern themselves, then the State will be unable to govern properly, which will always, and I mean 100% of the time, result in despotism.  Government typically tends towards despotism anyway, and a lack of personal discipline at the individual level only exacerbates this tendency.

Proverbs 25:28 teaches us the importance of governing ourselves.  Solomon says, "A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls."  Think about cities in Solomon's day.  They were often independent entities, having their own king and their own identity.  War was a way of life, which meant that defense against one's enemies was paramount.  The first line of defense against invading armies was towering walls and a city without walls was basically defenseless.  Think of Jericho in the book of Joshua.  Behind their walls they were untouchable, but the moment that the walls came down, they were vulnerable.  Without walls the battle was as good as over. 

This is how Solomon describes a man with no self-control.  It has often been said that we cannot control our circumstances, but we can control how we respond to them.  This is profoundly true.  Life is constantly throwing hardships our way and a man with no self-control is helpless against these attacks.  The slightest temptation or pertubation can destroy his composure.  Just as weaker nations can find strength in alliances or strategic placement, he may find strength in solidarity with other believers and in avoiding temptation, but he is ultimately at the mercy of his own self-control.  No one can be there every moment of the day.  No one can control you.  No one can take that responsibility from you.  You have to control yourself.  This is one reason I believe that crimes of passion should be prosecuted in the same way as premeditated crimes.  It is every man's responsibility to control himself.  We must constantly cultivate patience, always ready to deal with whatever comes our way.

Even the best among us cannot do this without God's help.  As Christians we have been given the Holy Spirit, but even the Spirit can be grieved.  The presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives was never designed to remove our responsibility to pursue holiness.  The Holy Spirit receives all the glory of our growth in Christ, but He works in and through us, not without us.  We must prayerfully rely on the Spirit, but even the Spirit will not constrain you if you are wallowing in your sin, affecting helplessness. 

This message of self-control is precisely the message that modern man despises.  We have done away with guilt and responsibility, replacing them with disorders, syndromes, and excuses.  We will never be able to curtail violence, theft, drug use, etc. until our justice system demands that individuals be held accountable for their actions.  Until we are self-governed, we will never be governed at all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary