Skip to main content

Why I Do Still Call Myself Reformed

I recently posted a few reasons why I am becoming increasingly hesitant to call myself Reformed.  It was just something I was trying to get off my chest, but it drew more attention than I expected. Something about it clicked with many people, both in positive and negative ways.  For the sake of clarity I would like to offer a few reasons why I do still call myself Reformed.   

1) It's the most accurate description of what I believe.  The Reformed Solas and doctrines of grace generally outline my theological and ethical framework.  Now, no single epithet fits my theological bent perfectly, and I suspect that I'm not alone in this.  The more you read and learn, the broader your perspective becomes and the less boxed-in you become.  Just as revelation was progressive, so too the Church's understanding of that revelation has evolved and grown.  Different categories and debates have occupied the various epochs in our history, so to say that you view every point exactly as [fill in the blank] did 400 years ago is either mistaken or dishonest.  In an age of numerous denominations, cults, and liberals, however, terms like "Reformed" can be very useful for practical purposes.  I am a Christian first and foremost, but my perspective is most accurately described as Reformed.

2)  The Reformers emphasized returning the Word, and a personal faith along with it, back to the people.  If I shared nothing else in common with Reformed theology, I would still find great kinship here (the Anabaptists did also emphasize this).  The Reformers were unanimously marked by a desire to see God's Word in the vulgar languages so that the lower classes could have access to it.  They also emphasized preaching over sacramentalism and active worship over passive ritualism.  This is, perhaps, the greatest heritage that we have received from the Reformation. 

3) The Reformers acknowledged the authority of the Word.  I mean this in two ways.  Firstly, the Reformers emphasized that Jesus is the only Head of the Church, so the Word Incarnate was acknowledged once again as the only absolute authority over the Church.  Secondly, they viewed the inscripturated Word of God as the only rule for faith and practice.  The King rules the Church through His Word.  This is why they knew that the people needed it.  Implicit faith is not enough.  One must hear and heed the Word to be a Christian!  They sought to teach the people a simple, holistic faith grounded in the Bible.  They recognized God's sovereignty over all of life and sought to regulate their lives by His written will.
4) The Roman Catholic Church definitely had/has some issues.  I want to be perfectly clear: when I say that I recognize Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox as Christian brethren, I do not mean a) that I agree with their theology or b) that I think my disagreements with them are insignificant.  I think we should call Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians to a more Biblically-centered theology.  Many Catholic and Orthodox views are based upon evolving traditions that have gone astray because they were not anchored in God's Word.  Both the Roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox believe that they are institutionally the heirs of the Apostolic succession, but, my friends, all Christians can lay claim to that if they follow the faith handed down to Christians in the Word of God.

So here I am, somewhere in the middle of staunchly Reformed and broadly ecumenical.  I employ the term Reformed, but I also recognize it's inadequacies.  The ideal will always be that denominational affiliations become unnecessary because we have a united Church with pure doctrine.  Make no mistake, truth does matter.  Unity is important, but sometimes true unity requires division.  I long for the day when Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestant/Reformed are history lessons from a bygone era, but until Christ's bride is purified to that extent, I guess I'll call myself Reformed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary