Skip to main content

The Role-Reversing Kingdom or The Ultimate Parable

Christians spend entirely too much time trying to make the Gospel less offensive than it is. We try to synthesize our faith with our culture so that it will be more palatable, but our Savior came declaring a Kingdom that makes demands on your lives.  One of the fundamental Kingdom principles He proclaimed is that "the last will be first, and the first last."  Christians are so familiar with Jesus's many aphorisms that we forget just how earth-shaking they are, and, subsequently, we fail to live them out as consistently as we should.  They're wise sayings, yes, but they are so much more than that.  They are operational principles for life.  

When we read Jesus's teaching, especially the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7), we see that this Kingdom He proclaims reverses roles.  It flips the carnal world on it's head.  The Kingdom of Heaven plays by different rules than this world.  The world says that it's a dog-eat-dog world.  Jesus says to bear your cross and follow Him.  Jesus says to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  The world says to do unto others before they do unto you.  Jesus came to establish a Kingdom whose citizens turn the other cheek and love their enemies.


Nowhere is this contrast (between Christ's Kingdom and the world) more apparent than in the way that authority is a) gained and b) utilized.  When Jesus was preparing His disciples to continue the mission after His Ascension, He said, "But he who is greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."  Jesus wanted the Apostles to know that the key to power in His Kingdom is not ruthless self-advancement, but service.  If you would rule others, you must begin by demonstrating humility.  Any power you are then given is delegated to you for the express purpose of blessing your fellow man, particularly your brethren in Christ.  


If you study history at all, you will soon find that it is marked by the blight of aggression.  No matter what century (ours included) or culture (yep, ours included) you explore, you'll find that kingdoms have come and gone as one regime asserts its will on its predecessor and/or the populace.  Sometimes the means are barbaric and bloody, while other times the tactics are more democratic, but the motivators are always pride, lust, and greed.  We see several such kingdoms rise and fall in the centuries leading up to the Advent of Christ.  The Babylonian, Medo-Persian, Greek, and Roman Kingdoms epitomize the totalitarian mindset of the world, but then another Kingdom enters the scene and changes things (see Daniel 2). This Kingdom is not of this world.  It is inaugurated, not by brute strength or superior military strategy, but by the death of her King, the ultimate parable.  If you would be a citizen of this Kingdom, you must follow His example, humbling yourself and laying down your life for your friends.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary