Skip to main content

Worship Leaders and The Voice

Have you ever watched The Voice?  It's okay, for what it is.  Occasionally they find a vocalist or two who could really make it on the radio, but they mostly find amateur musicians who haven't made it for a reason.  It is a family show (sort of), but it's still surprising how open to spirituality, even Christianity, it is.  Spirituality is mentioned with some regularity, even to the point that classic hymns have been sung by contestants.  This openness reflects a general attitude of tolerance and positivity, as they also do their best to include at least one audition by a homosexual each season.

This open platform has led an inordinate number of worship pastors/worship leaders to audition on the show.  If I remember correctly, there were at least three who auditioned this season, a couple of them making it onto the show, and one making it to the live shows.  It seems that every season there are at least a couple of worship pastors auditioning in an attempt to break through into the music industry.  Now, there's nothing wrong with worship pastors auditioning for competition shows per se (although singing "Let's Get It On" probably isn't the best witness), but there's just something strange about it.  What always comes to my mind is, "Isn't being a worship leader supposed to be a ministry?"  Many worship leaders identify as worship pastors, meaning they view themselves as called to lead and teach God's people through song.  There is no such office precisely described in the New Testament, but certainly we have examples in the Old Testament of men who were used by God to bless His people primarily through music.  Music is spiritual, as is all of life.  I can't say that God doesn't call people to such a ministry, but, if it is a ministry, why are they always looking to move on to the next "gig"?  When did "worship pastor" become just another step in the career path of the struggling Christian musician?  Or is it just a fall-back plan?  If you are being called to serve a congregation of God's people by leading them in worship, then why are you so willing and eager to jump ship when you have a chance to fulfill your real dream?  You might say that you are looking for a bigger platform from which to spread your message, but that seems disingenuous.

Let me be very clear.  I know a few great worship leaders who sincerely serve their congregations. They consider it a ministry and are not looking to become professional musicians.  I also recognize that many times worship leaders are pushed out of churches because congregants simply don't like their "style."  Nonetheless there seems to be a high number of them who are unstable and are always on the look out for the next job. I can't read hearts, of course.  I would honestly like to hear from some of you guys.  What is your take on this?

I think that these tendencies among worship pastors reflect the general tenor of the pastorate in our day.  The ministry has, unfortunately, become more of a career than a calling.  Pastors move from church to church, and it's rarely ever less than a horizontal move.  Pastoral education is modeled after the world's career-minded education system.  Pastors often live in fear of saying the wrong thing, lest they lose their well-being.  This is, to be sure, no modern phenomenon.  In medieval times the offices of the church were often rewarded to those who swore fealty to some king or lord, rather than to those who were faithful to God.  The episcopal form of government lent itself to the idea of "moving up the ladder," but, even in our day of community churches and non-denominationalism, we still can't get away from this misconception.  Offices in the church should not be viewed as careers, but as callings.  When making a choice to accept or decline a call to an office, one should prayerfully consider if God is calling him there, and not whether or not it's a wise career move.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want to place the blame for this solely upon pastors.  They have families to support and seminary debts to repay.  They also have hefty expectations, which they can almost never meet.  Pastors, whether senior, assistant, or worship, are often expected to be everything from the janitor to the accountant during the week, while making sure to preach a revival-caliber message every Sunday.  Nonetheless, pastors must bear some of the responsibility.  They need to make sure their priorities are straight.  They need to break the mold of ease and materialism that has such a stranglehold over Christianity in this country.  They need to preach and live, not as men-pleasers, but as as those who serve men on behalf of God.  As the Apostle Peter tells us in 1 Peter 5:1-4:
So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.  And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary