Skip to main content

To Bomb or Not to Bomb

So, America sent some missiles to Syria in retaliation for their alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians.  Maybe you've heard.  We can all agree that the use of sarin gas is horrific and cruel, though, of course, so is war in general.  The question that has agitated and divided the American public is whether or not we were justified in retaliating against a regime that has not actually committed any acts of aggression against our own country or citizens.  Are we called to police the world?  Do we have a moral duty to protect the weak throughout the world?  Should we interfere with civil wars overseas?  I don't know.  I'm just a 27-year-old blogger (okay, wannabe blogger) who has never been in the military or the government.  There's a reason I don't make decisions like this. Having a social media profile doesn't make me or anyone else an expert at foreign policy.  I don't know what our foreign policy, but here's what I do know:

1) Wars are always more complex than the public is allowed to know.  Conflicts like this almost always have back stories that go back decades.  Money and power are almost certainly factors.  There are people somewhere meeting behind closed doors making decisions over expensive cigars and dry liquor.  History will never know all the complexities that lie behind our President's decision to attack Assad.  To think that "kids getting gassed" is the full story is naive and shortsighted.  There is more to this than meets the eye, but who's to say that the public should really know everything that goes on. There's a fine line between transparency and exposure.

2) America is not morally superior to Syria.  We here in America believe in what you might call American exceptionalism.  Those days are past.  We are no better than any other country in the world. If you think using sarin gas on children is evil, then what about crushing the heads of full-term babies in the womb?  Yeah, you have to be pretty sick to think that either of those things is morally justifiable, and yet, the latter remains legal here in our fair country. God bless America, eh?

3) You can't help everybody.  Have you ever seen one of those infomercials about saving the orphans in foreign countries?  For just pennies a day you can give a hungry child food, clothes, and an education.  They tug at your hearts strings until you want to save every single child.  It's great to support these kinds of ministries, but, unless you're extremely wealthy, you can only support so many of them.  At some point you have to admit that you can only help so many people.  How do you decide when and where to do that?  The same principle is true for meddling in international affairs. America can't possibly retaliate against every regime that violates human rights.  How do we decide when to get involved?  When should we desist?  Unfortunately the answer is usually political as humanitarian concerns are often a cover for power grabs.  Even when our intentions are pure, however, the reality remains that we do not have the resources to save everybody.  The question then becomes whether or not we have the responsibility to intervene in any situation that does not include our citizens or our national interests.  We can take it yet one step further and ask whether we have the right to interfere in any situation that does not directly affect our country or citizens.  I, an advocate of old-school non-interventionism, would say we should mind our own business, but I can definitely understand the desire to come to the aid of those who are being persecuted.  Who decides whom we help?  Let me assure you that it is people with political motives.  Millions of people on the Asian and African continents are being persecuted for religious and political reasons, but we have yet to come to their aid.  For some reason we only feel the need to interfere in places that are economically advantageous.

4) Violence is always bad, but not always wrong.  It is never a good thing when people die in war, regardless of whether the weapons are chemical or conventional, but that doesn't mean that we should never use violence as a means to establishing peace and order.  Wisdom is required to know when violence is necessary (which is why electing a president is such an important task), and we must remember that, even when violence is justifiable, it is still tragic.

That's about all I can say on the topic.  Frankly, I'm glad not to have the kind of responsibility President Trump has right now.  It truly is a lose-lose scenario.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary