Skip to main content

Aaron Hernandez and the Bittersweet Taste of Justice

If you're a football fan, or even if you're not, you've probably heard of Aaron Hernandez, the troubled tight end from the New England Patriots.  After years of trouble with the law he finally found himself serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd.  His recent suicide came as somewhat of a shock, considering that he had just been acquitted in a separate murder case.  Perhaps the most surprising detail of the reports is that he had "John 3:16" (it's not clear if he had the actual verse or just the address) scrawled on his forehead.  Here are my reflections on the tragic ending of this unfortunate tale.

1) Football isn't that important.  I love football.  I probably (okay, definitely) love it too much, but being good at football doesn't give you the right to do whatever you want.  Being a professional athlete does not render one above the law.  Hernandez seems to have discovered that immutable reality altogether too late.  He was, by all accounts, a self-absorbed man-child whose first instinct was to lash out in violence towards anyone who disagreed with him.  Being his friend was dangerous.  It's a shame that so many people gave him a pass for so long.  Eventually everyone gets what they deserve, even NFL players.  It may not be in this lifetime, but, rest assured, God doesn't care how many accolades you received in your athletic career.  None of that will matter when you're standing before the divine tribunal.

2) Grace is powerful.  I doubt that Aaron Hernandez died a redeemed man.  We have little evidence to suggest that.  For a man as immoral as Hernandez to inscribe a Scripture passage on his face (taking a page from his former teammate, Tebow, no doubt), it makes one wonder what sort of consolation he gave himself.  While I doubt that Hernandez ever embraced the forgiveness offered in the Gospel, it is not impossible.  Could Hernandez have had a religious experience in his final hours? He most certainly could have.  Did God change his heart in his final hours?  It's possible.  Could he have been overcome by the heinousness of his sin and abandoned himself to Christ?  I sincerely hope that he did.  If your God couldn't have saved the likes of Aaron Hernandez, then your God isn't very powerful, and He certainly isn't the God of the Bible.

3) This world cannot satisfy.  To the casual observer Hernandez had everything.  He had fame, success, money, love, and family.  What else can this world offer?  Nothing.  There is something, however, that this world cannot offer--reconciliation with the Creator.  If one is not right with God, then nothing else matters.  At the end of the day Aaron Hernandez hanged himself with a bed sheet in a prison cell.  The pleasures of this world could not save him from such an ignominious demise.

4) Justice is never happy.  If I'm being perfectly honest, part of me is glad that Hernandez ended his own life.  He undoubtedly deserved to give his life for the lives that he had taken.  He would have done nothing but added to the financial burden that our country already bears due to a crowded prison system.  Justice was served.  On the other hand, his suicide is very tragic and sad.  As a Gators' and Patriots' fan I can say I would much rather Aaron Hernandez was still putting on a jersey and catching TD passes from the greatest QB of all time, but it goes deeper than that.  Any time lives are lost, we should be sorrowful.  We should mourn for and with his victims.  We should mourn with his family.  We should mourn at the depth of his depravity.  We should be glad when justice is executed, but we should never be glad that it is necessary.

The sheer volume of morbid stories in the news can begin to numb us to the darkness and depravity of this world, but when we read stories like this, we should reflect on what they mean to us.  The death of a former football player may not have any practical effect on us, but it is a good opportunity to pause and consider our own ways and our own priorities.  Aaron Hernandez is a perfect example of what happens when we idolize self and fall in love with the world.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary