Skip to main content

Why I'm Becoming Increasingly Hesitant to Call Myself Reformed

I have always identified first and foremost as a Christian, and I think that is the way it ought be, but I have never had a problem with identifying with a particular subset of Christianity.  I tend to resist any title that bears the name of a man (have you ever read 1 Corinthians?!), but I do not resist denominationalism per se.  Such titles can be useful for practical purposes.  Let's call them a necessary evil.

I have always called myself a Reformed Presbyterian.  As I get older, I realize that I am probably less of a Presbyterian than I had once thought (at least that's what Presbyterians tell me).  I'm not nearly as much of a "Confessional" person as most conservative Presbyterians are, I guess.  I still firmly believe in the Presbyterian form of government, though, I suppose not in all of the particulars of how most current conservative Presbyterian denominations operate that system.  Nonetheless I still have no trouble calling myself Presbyterian.  

I am also beginning to realize that maybe I am not as Reformed as I had thought.  I hold to the majority of Reformed teaching, but I am not as strict in my understanding of it as some would like me to be.  More than that, I am beginning to be hesitant in calling myself Reformed.  Here are a few reasons why:

1) Christianity was around for a long time before the Reformation.  Many Reformed people study history from Luther to Princeton (when it was still Christian), and that's about it.  If they study Christian history before that, which some, of course, do, it's basically to know what those heretics were teaching before the Reformers restored Christianity.  I am aware that I am generalizing and stereotyping, but I think that it's fair.  Most denominations are like this.  We tend to study the history that makes us unique.  We study our history, if any at all.  I, however, have come to appreciate my pre-Reformation heritage.  All of Christian history is our history because there is only one Church, both throughout the world and throughout time.  I have trouble defining myself by such a small period of the Church's history, so, while I celebrate my Reformed heritage, I hesitate to do so at the expense of my Apostolic heritage.

2) No one Christian denomination or theological heritage has a monopoly on the truth.  I have come to appreciate the differing perspectives and emphases within different Christian persuasions.  Humans have a tendency to lose balance and overemphasize things, usually as the result of someone else's overemphasis on the opposite thing.  Denominations are no different.  Some denominations emphasize Jesus, others the Holy Spirit.  Some emphasize personal piety, while others are all about evangelism.  Some prioritize God's control, while others emphasize man's moral agency.  All of these things are important.  If you never expose yourself to teaching, books, and ideas from outside of your theological perspective, you will most definitely miss out on some of the beauty of God and His Word.

3) No geographical/ethnic group contains all truth.  This is tied closely to my previous point, but it is distinct.  We have a tendency to view our cultural expression of Christianity as the only valid one. We think anachronistically (it's almost impossible not to).  We envision Peter standing in front of a sea of crowded pews, wearing a three-piece suit and delivering a rousing homily.  Only, that's not how it worked.  None of that actually would have happened.  Our brains can adjust for time (sort of anyway), but we have issues figuring out how different cultures work.  Different cultures have different emphases, just as denominations do.  Western Christianity has long prioritized the mind, while Eastern Christianity is more mystical.  African Christianity is often more expressive in worship, while Americans tends be more somber.  None of these things is necessarily more or less Biblical. We need to find a way to accept cultural emphases, so long as they do not overrule Biblical emphases.

4) Reformed guys are sometimes jerks.  This is sort of my underlining problem with much of what defines conservative Reformed Christianity in the modern, technology-driven era.  Reformed guys can be real jerks sometimes.  This is not to say that they all are, or that other Christian men are not, or that Reformed women are always angels.  I can only speak for the error within the movement with which I am intimately familiar.  Some of the kindest, gentlest, most pious Christians I know are Reformed men, and yet, the intellectual emphasis within the conservative Reformed world lends itself to pride, schism, and, frankly, hateful treatment of other people.  The number of divisive, scathing conversations conducted on the internet between Reformed brethren is overwhelming.  It's difficult to see Christ in this sort of conduct.  Many of the Reformed guys with whom I have interacted have completely and totally failed to show the grace of Christ in the way that they interact with people, whether the unsaved or their fellow brethren.  This sort of conduct has defined the Reformed movement since Luther himself, a dearth of tact defining many of the faces of Reformed thinking. The anti-ecumenical spirit almost inherent in Reformed ideology naturally leads to this sort of behavior.  I have caught myself being this type of person too many times.  I don't want to be that person, nor do I want to have a reputation for being that type of person.

I don't know that I will stop calling myself Reformed, but I'm getting close to that point.  I love the Reformed heritage into which I was born, but I have found that there is much more to Christianity that what is contained within it.

Comments

  1. I'm all for self-identifying as a mere 'Christian' without any partisan tag attached. I'm all for 'always reforming', as long as it does not mean 'always de-forming'or 'losing the sharpened understanding of the gospel of the grace of God in favor of merging with works-gospel systems such as Romanism and Eastern "Orthodoxy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, I don't have a problem with identifying as Reformed or as anything else. I hate to limit myself to the confines of any theological perspective as defined by men, especially one that is so recent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary