Skip to main content

The 2016 Election and the God of Mammon

    But if we don't vote for Trump, our economy is going to fall apart?  Does that sound familiar, friends?  Yes, it does, and that's because it is the resounding chorus of fear that has been emanating from middle class Americans afraid of losing their lifestyles.  Now, to be clear, I don't necessarily want our economy to fall apart, nor do I think it's wrong to pray that God would prosper our nation through Godly leadership.  I am not prepared, however, to compromise my principles to secure my financial freedom.  It's the same sort of logic I use when, say, choosing not to be a thief or a drug-dealing pimp--it's wrong to get money in immoral ways.  Voting for a man like Trump (who is basically a drug-dealing pimp/thief) because it makes economic sense is certainly not as egregious as pimpin' hoes or knocking off banks, but the same principle comes into play.  Is it okay to compromise our principles for the sake of financial stability/advancement?

    The obvious answer that any conscious Christian would give is a resounding "No!"  But when you make a choice, ask yourself, "What is the basis of my choice?"  When you pick one of the names on that ballot, what is your thought process?  Are you choosing out of fear and what is that fear?  What is your ultimate purpose in voting for that candidate?  You see, I won't be voting for Donald Trump for the same reason (really, one among many) that I won't be voting for Hillary Clinton--or Gary Johnson, for that matter.  All three candidates share one thing in common.  They are all dedicated Mammonites.  They are religious Mammonites.  They believe in, trust in, worship, and live to advance the cause of Mammon.  What is mammon, you ask?  The term, familiar to many Christians as found in Matthew 6:24, is somewhat ambiguous.  It is often translated "money" or "wealth," but the meaning is deeper than that.  Many scholars believe it is related to the term "aman," which means "to trust."  Over time it developed this connotation of reliance upon wealth or greed.  So when Jesus speaks of serving Mammon, He is talking about relating to physical wealth in a religious way.  He personifies it as a deity because money becomes very religious.  It demands our time.  It demands our energy.  It owns our hearts and controls our souls.  It determines the decisions that we make and the way that we live our lives.

    Here's the thing--Jesus dichotomizes the true God and this false god known as Mammon.  You simply cannot serve God and Mammon.  It's not inadvisable; it's impossible!  Jesus tells us that we cannot serve God if we are serving Mammon because both demand our entire person--heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Personally, I do not like to vote for those who do not adhere to my religion (how can I choose someone to represent me who does not share those beliefs that form the foundation of who I am and how I live my life?).  Even so, I'd rather vote for a Mormon or a Muslim than a nominal Christian who is really just a Mammonite.  I know that adherents to either of those other two religions have principles, whatever they may be, that transcend materialistic hedonism.  What I know about Trump and Hillary is that they both serve money.  That means they're unpredictable and selfish. They will make decisions based upon the almighty dollar instead of the Almighty God!  Has either candidate given us a reason to doubt that?  Hardly.  In fact, both of consistently reinforced my assertion throughout the duration of their respective careers.

    Vote for Donald Trump, if you want.  If you love our country and want to see her prosper, I don't fault you.  But, whatever you do, I ask you to weigh your motives.  Why are you voting for the candidate for whom you are voting?  Are you voting for him/her because you sincerely believe he/she will lead this country well?  Or are you doing so because you're afraid of losing your financial affluence and stability?  Only you know your heart.  Just remember the words of Jesus Christ:

No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can't serve both God and Mammon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary