Skip to main content

Hillary Clinton and the State of American Politics

    Politics--it's a running joke, really.  Sure, there are those zealous few who believe in the American political system, but they are quickly becoming extinct.  This is the group that believes that one vote matters and that politicians actually care.  These people are being replaced by a generation of disillusioned Millennials who, regardless of the platform they prefer, are beginning to recognize the stronghold that the establishment has over the political process.  Politicians are seen for what they are--money-hungry pawns of the elite class.  Oh, there are a few who are honest and are trying to help their constituents (Ron Paul, for instance), but they are few and far between.  After all, that kind of person can only survive for so long in a political environment that seeks to stifle free-thought and decentralization (see Ron Paul).

    Our political environment is, perhaps, most clearly evidenced by Hillary Clinton and her laundry list of scandals.  A woman who is being investigated by the FBI is running for president (for the Democratic nomination at this point, of course, but the nomination is as good as hers).  Let that sink in for just a moment.  What does that really say about politics in our country?  Let me offer three implications of that fact.

    First of all, it is a sign that, simply put, people are dumb.  Call it ignorance. Call it gullibility.  Call it whatever you want, but there are many people out there who are simply dumb.  They have either not put forth the effort to be informed, or they are simply too inept to understand how incompetent and dishonest Hillary Clinton has demonstrated herself to be.  In addition to the overzealous and the apathetic, there is this third class of constituents--the sheeple.  They care just enough to make themselves feel good, but their involvement in the political process proves to be nothing but detrimental.  It is my opinion that only those who own property should vote on most issues (this would exclude me, for the record).  Since that will never happen, we should at least have some sort of test that you must pass before voting.  Now, I'm not one who likes licensing every activity under the sun, but we require people to pass two tests in order to drive.  Driving a car recklessly is ultimately no more dangerous to the well-being of our society than voting recklessly.  Why don't people have to prove that they are qualified to vote?  I'm not holding my breath on this one either.  After all, the elite love using the sheeple to advance their agendas, which leads me to my second point.

    Secondly, it is a sign that the elite can do whatever they want.  Clinton is the epitome of the establishment candidate.  She has been around the Democratic party for decades.  She has been the First Lady both of Arkansas and of the United States.  She has subsequently been a Senator representing the state of New York and the Secretary of State of our country.  You don't get that far without being a part of the "in" crowd.  The fact that she is running (successfully, no less) for the highest office in our land despite her patent displays of incompetence and apathy shows just how "in" she is.  Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but there are forces behind her that control our lives in ways we will never understand, politically, economically, and socially.  They want their pawn in power.  They almost always get what they want.

    Thirdly, we get what we deserve.  Leadership often affects the direction in which the country goes, but the inverse is as equally true.  Dishonest politicians have often been elected because they do a great job of making themselves appear honest (Obama, for instance, pretended that he didn't play the Washington "game;" in reality, he was just playing it better).  They are masters of deceit.  When a politician is elected despite perceptions of dishonesty, it demonstrates that honesty, while still perhaps viewed as a virtue, is no longer prioritized.  When people take an unbiased look at Hillary Clinton's past and still think she is qualified to be the President of the United States of America, it shows that our values are far different than they used to be.  Hillary Clinton hasn't changed America's views. America's views have changed Hillary.  That is a reflection of our moral landscape as a nation.  We get the candidate and the public officials we deserve (the Republicans' candidate proves much the same point).

    So, what do we do?  At the end of the day, what can we do?  We can inform ourselves, ensuring that we are not sheeple.  We can be politically active in our communities (the one place political activity might actually do some good). If you're a fatalist, you can throw up your hands and let history continue on as it has for most of the history of mankind.  If you're a Christian, however, you can trust in God.  As Psalm 118:9 says, "It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes."  Regardless of your eschatological views, you can rest in the fact that, no matter what happens, God is in control and His plan will come to fruition.

    Or maybe you like just being one of the sheeple.  If that is the case, keep doing what you're doing. It's working out just great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary