Skip to main content

Is Preaching Authoritative?

When you sit in the pew, listening to a sermon, do you have to listen to what you hear?  To put it another way, is preaching authoritative?  Is there something about the pulpit that compels or obliges a congregant to heed what is being said?  I believe we can answer this in both the affirmative and the negative.  Yes, you have to listen to what your pastor says.  No, his sermon is not authoritative.  Allow me to explain.

Let me begin by explaining why I believe that preaching is not authoritative.  There are many different views as to why preaching would be authoritative.  Some, such as Charismatics, believe that preaching is directly inspired, though usually in a manner differently than Scripture, by God.  Others, usually independent churches, simply believe that "Pastor Bob" is called by God's man and so you gotta listen to him.  Others yet believe that a worship service is a dramatic picture of redemption and that the pastor represents Christ in this drama (check out this book for a proponent of this view; despite my disagreement on this point, the book has much to offer).  Many high-church denominations, including some of my own Presbyterian and Reformed brothers, hold to some variation of this belief.  This belief often produces an emphasis to faithful exegesis of the Word, which is a good thing, because they view the pastor as bringing a message directly from God to the people, which means they had better be pretty darned sure that their sermon is based on God's Word.

As much good as this perspective may produce in the form of Biblical preaching, I disagree with it for two reasons.  1) The Bible, so far as I can tell, never describes an elder/pastor as a representative of Christ in a worship service (does the Bible ever even really contain the idea of a "worship service"?); and 2) no matter how faithfully a pastor exegetes God's Word, his interpretation and application will always be finite and fallible.  For these two reasons, I simply cannot agree that preaching is authoritative.  Moreover, what is it about the pulpit that makes preaching so special?  Where in Scripture do we get this idea?  Why is what a pastor says while standing up before a congregation of Christians more authoritative than what he says when visiting at a residence on a Tuesday or when leading a Bible study on Wednesday night?  I fear that the Reformation may not have gone far enough when it comes to abandoning Rome's clerical system.

On the other hand, I do believe that you should listen to, and even obey, what your pastor says.  What is a pastor?  A pastor is a shepherd.  He is a guide and a guard.  He is called to lead, feed, and protect the sheep under the authority of the Good Shepherd.  He has been called and gifted to these ends, and he has been given authority by the Good Shepherd to enable him to fulfill this calling.  That authority is always, however, dependent on that calling and derived from Christ.  All pastors are members of the Body, but are called to assist the Head in leading it.  One of the ways in which Christ has equipped his undershepherds is by giving them the gift of teaching.  Preaching the Word of God is one tool by which pastors lead and feed their flocks.  Pastors are not, however, infallible, nor are they in the place of God.

As someone who preaches, I would never want those under my teaching to accept implicitly my words as the Word of God.  While they must submit to the Word of God, they do not have to submit to my interpretation or application of it.  These means that all Christians must 1) be very careful when choosing those whom we hear preach and 2) exercise discretion while under preaching.  Why would you place yourself under someone whose teaching you don't trust to be Biblical?  If you feel like your pastor handles the Word of God untrustworthily, you should probably find a new church.  Your pastor should be someone you trust to apply God's Word to life's situations.  He should be someone who has the knowledge, experience, and character to act as a spiritual guide, so you should value his teaching, whether he proclaims it from the pulpit or shares it around a fellowship meal after service.

The Word of God is that which is authoritative.  This is really what the Reformation was all about.  The Church doesn't give the Word its authority; the Word gives the Church her authority!  So far as your pastor shares Scripture from the pulpit, you must submit to it, not because he is in the place of God, nor even because he is specially gifted by God to administer the Word, but because the Word of God demands itself your submission.  Think about it, if your friend admonishes you from God's Word, do you have to listen?  If your friend comes to you and tells you to stop stealing because the Bible says not to steal, do you have to stop stealing?  Of course you do!  The Word of God compels you!  You don't need your pastor to tell you that for it to be binding--the Word of God is binding!  A pastor, then, is someone who is called, in part, to dedicate himself to the Word of God and to applying it to the lives of His sheep.  You should listen to him not because he gives the Word more authority, but because you trust him to bring the Word to you faithfully and passionately.

So, is preaching authoritative?  Yes...and no.  The Word of God is, but your pastor's interpretation and application won't always be.  The bottom line, however, is this.  Find yourself a pastor whose interpretation and application of God's Word is faithful and impassioned.  Never cease to exercise discretion, but listen to him with an open heart.  God has given faithful pastors to His Church for her edification and spiritual welfare, and we reject God's blessings to our own detriment.   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary