Skip to main content

Be Careful Whom You Read

There is in our modern day this attitude that views open-mindedness as the highest of intellectual achievements.  What some would call synergy, many view as true enlightenment.  Instead of holding to the faith handed down by our fathers, we are invited to draw bits of truth from all available sources.  That, it would appear, is true wisdom.  While I do believe in learning anything that is worth learning from anyone from whom you can learn it, I also believe that we should be cautious when opening our minds to information and influences.  For some this is more important than for others, as some are more easily led astray, but all Christians should be careful about what they allow into their minds.  This is particularly true when someone is causing you to read the Bible in a way that is new and innovative.  When you stumble across something new and exciting that seems to be entirely plausible, and when the source of that new and exciting idea comes from a source that seems scholarly and trustworthy, there are a few questions you should ask yourself before diving in head first:

1) What is this person's view of Scripture?  Many of the new and exciting ideas that modern theology has to offer are really just rejections of the authority of Scripture and of a clear interpretation of it.  If the person you're reading interprets a passage in a way that is new, not only to you, but to all of Christendom, it may be because they don't actually view Scripture as the inerrant word of God.  Two things commonly happen when a theologian tacitly rejects the abiding authority and applicability of the Bible: a) he twists Scripture to fit whatever preconceived notion he wants to maintain in spite of it being opposed to God's Word; or b) he bases his views on some traditional authority outside of the Bible.  These are both destructive to one's faith.  If a theologians view of Scripture is suspect, his interpretation thereof is as equally suspect.

2) What is this person's view of Church history?  Not only is it important to see how a theologian views Scripture, but it's also important to see how he views Church history.  Does he disregard it, interpreting Scripture in a way that no one has in 2000 years of Church history?  Does he give it too much credence, disregarding the Word to maintain a view that has no greater authority than that of uninspired men?  Either extreme is dangerous.  If a theologian will not humbly respect the fathers of the faith, while carefully maintaining the proper distinction between God's Word and Tradition, his interpretation of Scripture should be viewed with extreme caution.  

3) What is this person's life like?  Finally, you should take a look at how this person has lived his life.  How has he interacted with his fellow believers?  What is the condition of his family?  Has he practiced what he preached or has he hypocritically used the ministry/theology to fund a licentious lifestyle?  Most importantly, has his novel interpretation of Scripture been intended to extenuate his own sin?  If a theologian's life is marked by scandal and sin, his teaching, while not necessarily entirely false, should be entertained with added discernment.

As I said, I believe you can learn something from many different sources.  Roman Catholics, the Amish, Quakers, Baptists, Orthodox, etc. all have emphases that Reformed folks, such as I am, would do well to heed.  Even liberal theologians are occasionally useful.  Nevertheless, Christians who espouse a strict view of the authority of Holy Scripture must be cautious when reading, listening to, or conversing with those whose fundamental beliefs, and the foundation for those beliefs, are so widely different. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary