Skip to main content

The Transcendence of the New Covenant Sabbath

The Sabbath is one of the most controversial theological issues in Christianity, especially in the Reformed world.  Some Christians believe that the Sabbath, being typical of the person and work of Jesus Christ, has passed.  Others believe that the person and work of Christ altered/enlarged the meaning of the Sabbath and the details of its observance, but that the Sabbath command itself is a Creation Ordinance, and, therefore, is binding until we enter into the eternal Sabbath.  A third group believes that the Lord's Day has replaced the Sabbath, and amongst that group there are many views as to what the implications are for the New Covenant Christian.  A fourth faction, a relative minority, believes that the Jewish Sabbath remains intact and should be celebrated on the seventh day as was done in the Old Covenant.

The Sabbath is a subject on which I have experienced considerable growth over the past few years.  I have documented the reasons for my newfound convictions previously, so I will not rehash that here (although my views have been considerably refined since I wrote that).  I would like to discuss the issue from a more spiritual viewpoint.  The Sabbath is not merely a theological topic to be debated by theologians, but an issue that truly reflects and affects our spiritual experience as Christians.  This reality has been impressed on my mind much more of late as I observe some of my Christian brethren.  I have recently come across a few posts from my Sabbatarian friends that illustrate my point.  They expressed that they were finding rest in such things as preaching and Christian fellowship on the Sabbath.  These things are admirable, of course, but are they really our source of rest?  They are blessings given to us from God, but my rest is, at least it should be, found in Jesus Christ alone.  It is exactly this that separates my understanding of the Sabbath from theirs.  I wholeheartedly agree that God has granted His people, even in the New Covenant, a Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4:9), but what is the nature of that rest?  Does God merely grant us physical rest from our toil?  Is that what the Sabbath is all about?  To be fair, Sabbatarians would certainly insist that the Sabbath is both physical and spiritual.  Our rest on Sunday points to our rest in eternity, they would say.  They will quite often even admit that we begin to realize that eternal Sabbath in this life to some degree.  Is that enough?  Is that fully realizing the Sabbath that God grants to His people in the New Covenant?  I don't think it is.  I think there is much more to the Sabbath.

To me, Sabbatarians are a little bit like Dispensationalists (that should offend both groups).  Allow me to explain.  Dispensationalists just can't get past the physical element of the promises made to the Jews, insisting that these promises must receive literal fulfillment to the race to which they were given.  In my opinion, they fail to appreciate the radically transcendent fulfillment that those promises have received.  After all, why would Jesus care about a physical throne in Jerusalem when He has been given all authority in Heaven and on Earth?  I view Sabbatarians in much the same way.  They get stuck on the physical commandment/promise of the Old Testament Sabbath and fail to realize the full glory of the New Covenant Sabbath.  The New Covenant Sabbath transcends the Old Testament Sabbath in the same way, and to the same degree, that Christ's sacrifice transcends the Old Testament ceremonial system.  The Old Testament Sabbath was a day.  The New Covenant Sabbath is a lifestyle.  The Sabbath is about so much more than a day.  The rest that the New Covenant believer has in the finished work of Christ is the fulfillment of not only the Sabbath, but of all the holy days of the Old Covenant.  If you only celebrate one day, or even a group of days, you're robbing yourself.

To my Sabbatarian friends, know that I respect your resolve to serve God and I can appreciate your conviction, but ask yourself this question.  Is your Sabbath any different than the one the Jews observed in the Old Covenant?  In what way/ways is it different?  It's on a different day of the week?  You celebrate a fuller revelation on that day?  Is that it?  You may think that you are fully realizing the spiritual nature of the Sabbath by observing Sunday in the name of Christ as opposed to observing the seventh day because of Creation, but you are missing out.  There is much more to it.  Resting one day a week tragically fails to enter fully into the rest that Christ has won for His people.  That rest is found in our daily walk with and reliance upon Christ.

Now, don't misunderstand me.  Some Sabbatarians do both observe the day and yet appreciate the daily implications of it (like some emphasize the tithe but also appreciate the full implications of what the tithe pictures).  These two things are not mutually exclusive.  However, while observance of the carnal Sabbath doesn't necessarily lead to neglect of the spiritual Sabbath, it can and often does.  I have known many Sabbatarians who, satisfied with a one-day-a-week Sabbath rest, fail to pursue that rest that Christ provides His people even in this life.  My hope is that all Christians would experience this deeper, more genuine rest, regardless of what view of the Sabbath they hold.  Paul encouraged liberty and understanding when it comes to holy days (Romans 14) because he knew that some people would want/need that physical sign, even in the New Covenant.  This was especially true for those in the transitional period, but it remains true today.  Physical rest is still important for these weak bodies of ours, and God certainly cares for our bodies, but we must never let that physical rest obscure the spiritual rest to which we have been called.  Observe a Sabbath day if you please, or don't, but, whatever you do, never be satisfied with a physical day of rest.  Never replace that transcendent New Covenant rest with a modified version of the Old Covenant rest.  Enter into the rest that Christ provides His people (Hebrews 4:11).  You don't even have to wait until Sunday for that rest!  You can enter into it today and every day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary