Skip to main content

Presbyterians, Church History, and Systematic Theology

Though I do not confine my beliefs by the boundaries of man-made doctrinal systems, I do consider myself to be a conservative Reformed Presbyterian.  As such, I try to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of my particular corner of the theological world.  Our strengths?  We seek to appreciate all of God's Word.  We try to engage our minds, emotions (some of us, anyway), and bodies in our religion.  We seek to apply our theology to all of life.  Those, I believe, are good things and marks of faithful Reformed Presbyterianism.  We have our weaknesses though, too, and it doesn't help anyone to ignore them.  I'd like to take a few minutes to explore one of those weaknesses.

Presbyterians love their systems.  To be a little bit more specific, we Presbyterians love our Systematic Theologies.  We love having an answer to every question and we really love being able to fit any issue into the bigger picture so that all of our puzzle pieces fit together perfectly.  There are two problems this dedication to systems can produce.  The first one is that our system(s) begin(s) to guide our beliefs instead of the Bible guiding them.  The result is that relatively clear Scripture is silenced, glossed over, or systematized away because our system states that it just can't mean what it appears it means.  A perfect example would be the Scripture's teaching on the Sabbath (which I explored last time).  I can't tell you the number of times I've heard Presbyterians give me a ten-step syllogism to explain why Paul doesn't mean what he says when it comes to the Sabbath.  It usually includes a whole bunch of universal principles that cannot be Scripturally proven (simply by the nature of the claims made).  If you agree with all those broader principles and logical deductions, well, by George, you'll come to the same conclusions that they do!  If not, well, you're just wrong. We must never ignore Scripture because of our logic.  Man is finite, and so are the exploratory powers of logic.  Sometimes we have problems rationalizing different parts of Scripture, but we must never allow ourselves to ignore and twist portions of Scripture in order to make them fit with our views on other passages.  Let me be very clear.  I believe that Systematic Theology is a valid and edifying endeavor, both for the individual and for the broader Church.  Not all doctrines are explicitly stated in Scripture and the Church has been given the Holy Spirit to work out some of the details that aren't explicitly written.  However, when our logical deductions start trumping what is explicitly taught in Scripture, then we have an issue.

The second problem I've noticed is that our Systematic Theology can begin to shape how we view Church History, instead of the other way around.  Studying Church history is an extremely helpful exercise and Presbyterians tend to pride themselves in doing so.  The problem is that we often ignore the portions of Church history (like, say, anything before 1400) that contradict our fast-held beliefs or we misrepresent the big picture. We look back at theologians and claim they were on our side of a debate, not realizing that the debate we're having was totally foreign to their theological structure, or we only quote the authors that agree with us, totally ignoring that Church history is rarely monolithic. History, like Scripture, is twisted to fit the system instead of the system being altered to fit history.

Now, I suspect that all denominations probably struggle with these things.  Finite creatures, at least those with a thirst for truth, will always be prone to trying to fit truth into their intellectual boxes.  In some ways it is inescapable.  When it comes to revelation, however, we must learn to rest in the infinite God instead of cramming Him and His truth into our finite theological systems.  We also need to have grace with those who disagree with us, humbly recognizing our own finitude.  One of the most frustrating experiences is when someone simply does not follow your logic.  Instead of assuming that the issue is the other person's mental capacity and/or knowledge of Scripture, maybe we should reflect on whether or not we are holding to our systems at the expense of Scriptural truth. We should also be open to reading and learning from those whose theology doesn't line up exactly with ours.  It is difficult to place a value on viewing things from a different perspective.  Sometimes we'll realize we're way off base, while other times our existing views will be reinforced.  Regardless of the outcome, it will help us to be more well-rounded in our thinking and theology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary