Skip to main content

Be A Resource!

It's that time of year again!  The holidays are upon us once more, and they tend to bring out the best and worst in us.  Materialism is at an annual high, but so is generosity.  People spend exorbitant amounts of money on things they don't need, but they also volunteer at soup kitchens.  We look forward to getting gifts, but we also love seeing the expressions on the faces of our family members as they open up their presents on Christmas morning.  It's a busy, relaxing, hectic, dreadful, wonderful time of year!

For many of us, it's a time when we would like to be more generous, but we just don't know if we can afford it.  We feel compelled to give as we are reminded that there are many who have less than we do, but we feel like we are stretching the budget as it is.  We want to help, but our resources are thin. What can we do?  One of the things that we often forget is that the most valuable resource we have is ourselves.  You may not have much money, but you have time and energy, and those are often way more important to others than your money.  Money plays an important role in our society, of course, but just throwing a couple of bucks in the red pail outside the grocery store is far less impactful than spending a few minutes helping or encouraging someone in need.

This is why it is so important to develop talents and skills.  Here in America we focus primarily on the monetary value of acquiring a skill.  We learn to play music so we can get rich and famous.  We learn to work on cars or computers so that we can make a living.  Having skills in order to make a living is important, but the Bible tells us that we are to use our gifts to bless other people, and not just ourselves.  Some of the people I respect most are those who are always willing to lend a helping hand, even when it costs them something.  So what can you do to help other people?  Can you make a meal or help them build something?  Can you grow food in your garden or play music?  Can you teach them something new or help them move?  Can you comfort them or make them laugh?  How can you meet their needs?  "Stuff" is not the most important thing in the world.  Sure, donating money to a shelter or toys to a toy drive is great, but we need to go beyond that.  Using our financial resources to bless others is actually a spiritual gift, but physical possessions can only go so far.  People need spiritual, emotional, and mental blessings as well.  People need us.

Giving of ourselves to others is the purest way that we can imitate God.  God had no shortage of resources, but He gave Himself.  The second person of the Trinity became incarnate in the Person of Jesus Christ and gave His life for His people.  "Greater love hath no man than this," said our Savior, "that a man lay down his life for his friends."  He not only spoke these words--He lived them.  Why did He do this?  Because nothing else would do.  There was nothing else in the world as valuable as His life and death.  No other currency this world has to offer could pay the debt we owed, so He gave Himself.  When we give ourselves--our time, energy, talents, etc.--we imitate our Savior and obey His command.  Though our lives could never be worth as much as His, we can bless those around us by mirroring His love.  We can even take it a step further.  By reflecting Christ we proclaim the Gospel, which means that our lives have redemptive value, although in a different way than Christ's, of course.

So this Christmas, and every day of the year, give yourself to other people.  That is the best way to honor the true meaning of the holiday.  You may not have much to give, but you have yourself.  Find a way to use who you are and what you can do to benefit other people.  Be a resource!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary