Skip to main content

Millennials and Their Priorities

Millennials aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.  Allow me to rephrase that. Millennials aren't as uniquely bad as people make them out to be.  They are materialistic.  They are shallow.  They are morally relative and don't know how to use a broom or a mop (trust me...I see it all the time).  They use language in a barbaric and annoying manner.  These things are not, however, unique to this generation.  I'm pretty sure the boomers were saying these same things about the Generation X'ers.  The boomers, in turn, we largely decried by the "greatest" generation, the World War 2 generation that worked their butts off for everything they had.

The one awful thing that I have found about Millennials, however, is our priorities.  Let's face it, our priorities are pretty questionable.  We spend way, way too much time on he internet (irony noted).  We do things like texting while driving.  We spend an inordinate amount of time manicuring our appearances and perfecting our wardrobes.  We listen to endless amounts of music, but we won't invest time in actually learning to play an instrument.  We watch Marvel movies--lots and lots of Marvel movies.  The things that we think are important usually aren't.  When I look at the disapproval of preceding generations, I get it.  They look at us and simply cannot understand the things we value, as evidenced by the way we spend our time, money, etc.

Here's the thing.  Where did we Millennials get our priorities?  That's right, folks.  We were taught them by our parents.  Where did our parents get them?  Right again!  They got them from their parents, and so on an so forth.  We may have different priorities from our parents, but our parents taught them to us nonetheless.  Sometimes this process is explicit.  You read books because your father read books. You love football because your father watched football and taught you how to play it.  You love the Beatles because your father could sing along to every Beatles' song that graced the airwaves of Majic 105.7 (Fab Four at 4:00, anyone?).  Education is important to you because your father placed a premium upon it, and the list could go on.  We mimic our parents.  We just do.

Sometimes, however, our parents implicitly place value on things, or, rather, they implicitly fail to place value on things.  You never read books as the pristine binding of all the books in your parents' house revealed that they were never cracked open.  You never heard music growing up, so it just isn't that big of a deal to you.  Your parents didn't bother to work out their marital issues, so why bother getting married at all?  You won't value things that your parents didn't value.  You won't be and do what your parents didn't emphasize, both by example and command.

Even further, children will spurn traditions forced upon them that seem groundless.  If you just go through the motions, your children won't even do that.  Hence the religious state of Millennials.  The spirituality of their parents seems empty, so they have abandoned it en masse.  Christianity is being rejected by a generation who sees it as self-serving and hypocritical, and they're not always wrong. Work ethic has suffered in the same way, especially in economically sparse times. Your parents hate their jobs and haven't really advanced themselves financially, so why should you spend your time working a 9-to-5 that you hate?  The logic is far more cogent than Millennials' parents care to admit.

Nature, of course, also abhors a vacuum.  When no parents are around, children will glean their priorities from their friends, culture, entertainment, etc.  This is probably at least partially responsible for the historically astronomic levels of drug use and suicide that we are seeing.  If your parents won't invest in you and your future, why should you?  If your parents don't value you enough to stick around, why should you place any value on your own life?

So what priorities have the parents of Millennials handed down to them?  Materialism.  Moral relativism.  Hedonism.  Nihilism.  They have seen the time invested in entertainment, fashion, and "stuff," and they have mimicked what they have seen.  Technology, often viewed as the culprit, has only exacerbated the underlying problem.  If older generations would see a revival of traditional values among their Millennial children and grandchildren, they need to start by evaluating their own priorities and making sure that they're living consistently with them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary