Skip to main content

Why You Should Read John Frame's Systematic Theology

    I'm going to take a moment away from my political ranting to offer you a suggestion for some (late) summer reading.  I was looking to read through a Systematic Theology (hereafter ST) for the first time when I stumbled across an online interview with John Frame.  I had heard of Frame, but had not read any of his works.  I had heard that he was an outlier, occupying the fringe of the Reformed world.  The interview (the link to which I wish I could now find) was intriguing enough to evince from me a trip to Amazon to purchase a copy of Frame's ST.  After reading it through in its entirety, I'd like to offer offer a few thoughts.

    First of all, Frame's reputation as an outlier is well-earned.  His approach to pretty much everything is rather unique (more on that later).  This appears immediately as he opens by telling his reader that he is not going to follow the traditional order or methodology one would expect to find in a Reformed ST.  His reluctance to affirm certain Reformed principles also leaves him somewhat on the outside looking in (though I would certainly still call him solidly Reformed).  For one, he is not a huge fan of the Regulative Principle of Worship, a conservative Reformed mainstay. He is also quite ecumenical and diplomatic when it comes to views that many Reformed folks find reprehensible, the continuation of spiritual gifts being one example.  He comes down as a Cessationist, but he is not as dogmatic as some would like.  There are many other examples one could list.

    Speaking of not being dogmatic, the second thing I noticed about Frame's ST is how humbly he approached issues that aren't 100% clear.  Reformed people are sort of known for thinking that their particular way of formulating any given doctrine is the only possible way.  Worship is probably the best example of this.  Frame, on the other hand, is open and honest about when he holds to a traditional Reformed doctrine despite the lack of explicit Scriptural data, such as God's covenant with Adam before the Fall.

    Thirdly, sometimes Frame can seem arbitrary.  His interpretive framework (pun intended) is called Triperspectivalism.  Basically he see God's Lordship as the overarching them of Scripture, with Lordship being broken down into three categories: authority, command, and presence, which occupy three perspectives: normative, situational, and existential, respectively.  Most everything in the book (and apparently in life) boils down to these three perspectives.  Sometimes Triperspectivalism seems genius.  Sometimes it seems forced--really forced--so much so that he admits that there aren't clear lines and that each of the perspectives includes the others anyway.  I found the philosophy to be sometimes helpful, sometimes baffling, and usually intriguing.

    Fourthly, Frame's ST offers a pretty noticeable lack of balance.  You can definitely tell which portions were his passions and which were obligatory.  I thought he did an awfully large amount of philosophizing, especially when it came to the Word of God (and words/revelation in general).  His sections dealing with the work and nature of Christ were far shorter than his sections dealing with God and revelation. His section on ethics was quite short, though many STs apparently don't feature any such section at all.  The lack of balance was mitigated somewhat by his constant devotional and practical tone. His definition of theology emphasizes application.  To be fair, this lack of balance is probably directly tied to the fact that large sections of the book are derived (if not copied) from his preceding books and lectures.  Other sections seem like they were hastily thrown together.  

    Fifthly, Frame is an unabashed Biblicist.  This is, perhaps, his strongest trait.  He focuses more on Biblical evidence for arguments than on historical debates.  He probably could've included more historical information, but I would much prefer more of the Bible than more of the history of theology.  His sections on revelation and the Word are particularly powerful.

    Finally, this is a readable Systematic Theology.  I have a Bachelor's degree in theology, so I've read more theology than your average American, but I'm no genius, and I found this book to be very readable.  It certainly has moments where you have to stop and reread a couple of times, but, generally speaking, the book is accessible to most people who would have the desire to read it.

    Overall I really liked this book.  I found it both challenging and enjoyable.  The author exposes his reader to many subjects they have probably never encountered before.  His unique perspective as a theologian complements his unique voice as an author.  His literary style is somewhere between a professor and a pastor.  If I could only own one ST, it probably wouldn't be this one.  Thankfully I already have Calvin's, Berkhof's, and Grudem's, so Frame's, instead of being redundant, has its own place in the rich tradition of Reformed STs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary