Skip to main content

Seemingly Inconspicuous: Lessons from the Amish

     As I look around at the present state of the world, I find the amount of time and money we pour into our appearances to be a little bit alarming.  It makes me think that maybe the Amish (and other similar groups, like the Quakers) had a couple of things right.  I can't help but to respect the practical simplicity of the Amish way of life.  The specific applications of the movement in modern day aside, their emphasis on simplicity and their aversion to vanity are admirable. Clothing, in their minds, should not be something that draws attention to oneself.  Now, drawing attention to ourselves should not be our ultimate goal anyway, but if people do find something about us attractive, it should be our character.  This is certainly a Biblical concept.  1 Peter 1:3-4 says:

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.

Peter is speaking primarily to women (as they would generally be the ones to adorn themselves), but the principle applies to us all.  We should focus more on inner character than outward appearance, both in ourselves and in others.
   
    This principle was a legitimate concern and emphasis of the Amish, and yet, history with all its irony has chosen to define the Amish largely by their appearance.  When somebody says "Amish," you're mind instantly goes to the beards, suspenders, wide-brimmed hats, and simple, plain shirts, pants, and dresses that they wear.  By avoiding change, they have engaged in it.  As truly as we should heed their emphasis on avoiding our cultures obsession with apparel, so too should we heed the warning of what happens when you go to the other extreme.  We should never compromise modesty for the sake of conforming to social norms, but sometimes our attempts to reject the attitudes of the culture around us can backfire.  Who is more noticeable in a mall?  An Amish person or a regular Joe wearing cargo shorts and an AC/DC shirt?  Only God can judge the heart, but sometimes our attempts to be different can drag us into the same self-centered mindset as those from whom we are seeking to differentiate ourselves.  We can easily lose track of the reason why we should be different and our basis for determining how to express it.  We're human.  It's what we do.  Our attempts at humility end up turning into pride.  In the same way, our attempts at being being inconspicuous make us stick out like sore thumbs, and, inversely, our attempts at being different make us just like everyone else.

    So what do we do?  We do what Peter says.  We do our best to focus on building character and emulating Christ.  We put less attention on temporal things like the clothes we put on our bodies and the style of our hair.  As Paul says in Colossians 3:1, we set our affection on things above instead of on the things of the world.  We learn the lessons from the Amish, both that we should not focus on the outward appearance, and also that we need to be moderate and discerning in how we distinguish ourselves from those around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary