Skip to main content

Hebrews 1:1-4

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs."

John calls Christ the "Word" in John 1:1-14.  The entire book of Hebrews is essentially about how Christ as Savior is better than the Old Testament rituals and symbols that pictured Him.  This, it could be said, is the story of the New Testament in general.  But a few points from the passage at hand.

Firstly, the author of Hebrews confirms that the prophets were divinely inspired.  God revealed His redemptive plan to them in different ways throughout several centuries.  He does not demean this revelation at all.  In fact, his argument depends on previous revelation being worthy of respect and our attention.

Secondly, he states as a matter of fact that the "last days" were present in his own day.  The last days, Biblically understood, refer to the period of time after Jesus' Coming.  The last days were implemented with the first advent of Christ.  Peter echoes this concept in Acts 2:14. 

Thirdly, he declares the superiority of our own revelation.  God spoke through men.  That is an absolutely indescribable statement.  Meditate on it for a minute.  Consider that fact continually.  God spoke to man--His greatest creation run amuck!  He initiated a relationship with His fallen creatures, a fact established clearly by communicating with them, an integral part of any relationship.  But now God has communicated to us by an even greater relational gift--selfless giving.  He communicates through His very own Son, whom He sent as a Prophet to proclaim the plan of salvation that was foreshadowed in the ceremonial system of the Old Testament.  He also sent Him as a Priest to make the priceless, effectual sacrifice that the Old Testament shadows could not provide.  We ought to marvel at this demonstration of love given to us by our Father!  Jesus Christ is truly the "radiance of the glory of God."  He is the pinnacle of God's revelation of Himself to man.  We were given a man who also could (and did) demonstrate to us everything about who God is and what He has done for us. As for the statement that "he upholds the universe by the word of his power", I'm not sure if this is a reference to Christ or to the Father.  It could go either way, and, not actually being able to read the Greek, I must admit ignorance.  It could be saying that Jesus Christ upholds the world by His very word, and we do definitely see Jesus Christ as King of the world.  However, it seems to me that this is a reference to the Father, who upholds the world by His Word, Jesus Christ.  This seems to be a better fit.  Perhaps the English construction of the sentence misrepresents the thought.  It includes it structurally under things that are true of Jesus, but it could just as easily refer to another of the activities that God is doing through Christ.  Acts 17:28 says that in God we live and move and have our being, which would seem to agree with our present intepretation.  At any rate, we cannot divide the Trinity, which means that God is in control either way.   

Fourthly, we see into the inter-Trinitarian relation and what we call the Economy of the Godhead.  This is how things were worked out in time and space between the Persons of the Trinity.  The Son is given rule of the universe, that which was created through Him, as we see here and  in Genesis 1.  Psalm 110:1-2 prophesies accordingly, "The Lord says to my Lord: Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool. The Lord sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies!"  Christ was rewarded for His suffering by being given the royal sceptre.  This is a present reality! (I had to sneak it in)

Lastly, we end with a note of the superiority of Christ over the angels.  This is really the theme of this book.  Christ is superior to angels.  He is superior to Levitical priests.  His sacrifice is superior to the Old Testament Temple--it's sacrifice and symbols.  He enters the true Holy of Holies instead of a Holy of Holies made by man's hands.  Why return to Judaism when you have the fulfillment?  We ought to take this message and apply it to our lives.  Why return to sin and depravity when we have a perfect sacrifice and King?  There is simply no good reason.  

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary