Skip to main content

Martin Luther King, Jr. Was a Bad Person

There.  I said it.  Someone had to.  Martin Luther King, Jr. was a bad person.

April 4th marked the 50-year anniversary of the assassination of MLK, in memorial of which many individuals and groups took the opportunity to reflect on the status of race relations in the United States.  Even Evangelical Christian organizations held conferences in his memory.  This is a natural reaction, and one that is not unnecessary.  We must not be above reflecting on our faults, both our own personal sins and those of our forefathers.  However, and here comes the rant, we need to be honest here, MLK was not a good guy.  MLK did some "good" things, and he remains an important historical figure, but he was a bad person.  He was not a morally righteous individual.  He was not an orthodox Christian, and he was certainly not a "Reverend."

Before I proceed any further, let me clarify three things.  Firstly, as I have already stated, MLK did some good and important things.  He was certainly a passionate man, so far as politics and race were concerned.  Secondly, racism continues to exist both in the US and in the Church.  It is shameful in any setting, but is more heinous in the Church, where being a  member of Christ's body should render meaningless all ethnic and national barriers.  Such racism, or even the more subtle cultural distaste, goes many directions and should never be countenanced.  Thirdly, I am intentionally leaving the definitions of "good" and "bad" ambiguous.  "Good" can be defined in multiple ways: generically virtuous, morally upright by Biblical standards, or even redeemed by Christ and living for Him.  None of these apply to MLK.

These clarifications made, we must be careful whom we celebrate, particularly when we're discussing spiritual leaders (pastors, elders, teachers, evangelists, etc.).  MLK's flaws are well-published, but allow me to rehearse just the highlights.  MLK was largely a fraud, his plagiarism being well-documented.  He was a heretic, his Christ and his Gospel being patently unbiblical.  He was a sexual degenerate, his adultery being well-known and his alleged aberrant behavior supposedly observed by the CIA.  Regardless of the good things that he did, we should not hold him up as a good example.  Many bad people did respectable things.  We can learn from those things, but we should not celebrate those people.  Take Thomas Jefferson as an example.  He had some good ideas and did some honorable things, but we should not hold him up as a great man.  He is not someone whom we should imitate or point to as a good example for our children to follow.  MLK is no different.  His teachings, both theological and political, range from dangerous to heretical.  His life was far from exemplary.  He is not someone whom Christians should honor or follow.

Furthermore, Christian leaders have the responsibility to warn the people of God about false teachers, an appellation that can unmistakably be applied to MLK.  The New Testament is chock-full of warnings about false teachers who can destroy our faith and lead us into sin.  Peter, Paul, and Jesus highlight the list of authors/speakers who issue these warnings.  False teachers are not to be countenanced.  They are not to be "appreciated."  They are to be called out and warned against, despite anything helpful or beneficial they have to offer.  Faithful ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, particularly in the black community, need to warn their sheep about the teachings and life of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is that too offensive for you?  If so, you may want to stop reading right now because this next part will probably be more offensive.  Alright...I warned you.  MLK is, without a doubt, viewed more favorably because he was assassinated.  Humans have a tendency to whitewash the legacies of those who die young (I'm looking at you, Billy Joel!). Once again, MLK is an important historical figure whose work partially paved the way for much of the progress this country has made in race relations, but, if we're being honest with ourselves, we have immortalized him largely because he was a martyr.  Would his flaws be overlooked so easily if he were still alive?  The 21st Century is all about exposing the sins of our beloved saints.  How would he fare in the age of information?  Let me put it plainly: Christians cannot ignore his false teachings and debauchery simply because he did some good things and died at the hands of an assassin.

You may think I'm just a skinny, white guy sitting behind a keyboard spouting racist ideas.  Well, you're partially right.  I am white (sort of, anyway...it's more complex than that), and I'm definitely scrawny, but that doesn't mean that what I'm saying is racist.  MLK's race has nothing to do with his character, and it is that which should determine how history views him.  I'm sad to say that, despite the powerful way in which God used him, Martin Luther King, Jr. was not a Godly man. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary