Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Halloween

    If you're a normal person, Halloween is probably just a fun holiday for costumes, candy, and general frivolity.  You've probably never sat and thought about whether it was morally right or wrong. If, however, you were raised in any one of a number of conservative Christian denominations, Halloween is the epicenter of a significant amount of fervent debate.  Is Halloween evil or is it harmless?  Are its origins pagan or actually Christian?  Should we shun it, go all out, or find a middle ground?

    I'm not necessarily here to offer any special insight into those questions.  What I would like to do is offer my point of view, and let that be that.  I was raised a Reformed Presbyterian.  If you've read my blog at all before, you're probably aware that we were on the fringe even of Reformed Presbyterianism (read: weird).  One of the emphases of traditional Presbyterianism is that we should not celebrate holidays that have pagan origins.  Now, many of you are probably thinking, "What? Who cares?"  Presbyterians care, that's who, and they really care.  When they care about stuff, they care a whole lot.

    Now, I have two thoughts on that.  First of all, let me just say that I respect how much Presbyterians care about the stuff about which no one else has given a second thought.  I respect my heritage.  I am still a Reformed Presbyterian, though I no longer hold to some of its traditional tenets. More particularly, there are a bunch of people I love and respect who feel strongly about things like Halloween, not to mention Christmas and Easter.  I respect their motives, generally speaking.  I believe their desire to avoid pagan ritualism is honorable and they are well within their freedom in Christ to abstain from holidays they feel are immoral or harmful to their faith.

    On the other hand, however, I just don't get it.  Why is it such a big deal?  Is celebrating Halloween really a sign of compromising with the world?  Are you really inviting Satan into your child's life by dressing him/her up as a puppy dog and letting him/her canvass the neighborhood in search of sugary treats?  Okay, so you think that Satan uses the niceties of such holidays to trick us into doing pagany kinds of things.  Even if you feel strongly about something like that, do you really have to declare your abstinence from such vile filth at every turn?  Do what you want to do, but don't be a jerk about it.

    Two closing thoughts.  Firstly, please don't interpret that last paragraph as my way of saying "different strokes for different folks."  When it comes to right and wrong, Christians are called to do what's right and to speak the truth in love.  The problem is that the Bible never really discusses something like Halloween.  Certainly there are principles that we can glean, but the question of observing irreligious holidays of your culture is not really dealt with (equivocating commands to the Jews to spurn the religious practices of the Canaanites do not apply as well as some may think).

    I'll go a step further and say that I really don't see how it is harmful, either.  We as Christians are called to choose not simply the "not that bad," but the excellent.  This means that we avoid things that are harmful to our faith and the faith of our children, even if they aren't explicitly forbidden.  How is Halloween harmful to our faith?  I simply haven't seen that.  Life is holistic.  Your kids are not going to leave the faith because you let them celebrate a holiday that has pagan origins (which also has Christian history, mind you).  If your parenting plays any role in your child's faith or lack thereof (it doesn't always, but often does--that's a different subject though), it will be because of how you taught them the the truth of the Gospel in word and deed.  I can't see how Halloween contradicts that.

    Secondly, what's really important?  Is Halloween even close to the biggest problem the Church is facing today?  How does this make Christianity look when we quibble over trick-or-treating while our marriages are falling apart and our children are defecting en masse?  What emphases are we missing when we call down hellfire on our heathen brethren?  Does complaining about other Christians on Facebook really qualify as a good work?  

    I guess that sums up my thoughts on Halloween.  What's the big deal?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary