Skip to main content

What's the Use with Politics Anyway?

    Ah, politics.  It dominates the headlines.  It makes us want to pull our hair out.  It epitomizes the term futility.  It reveals the good in men, but also divulges their basest instincts.  It brings us together in ways that few other things can, and yet, it tears us apart.  Those united by blood, faith, nationality, and ethnicity find themselves at each others' throats when it comes to politics.  More money is spent and blood spilt over politics than nearly anything else in this world.  People love money.  They love power. They want to control other people.  These are inescapable realities of human nature.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  At the end of election season (is there an end?) it's easy to find yourself wondering what use there is in participating in the political process at all.  We're told that we have to vote.  We have to voice our opinions.  We have to [fill in the blank] or else we're not patriotic or, even more absurdly, we're not Christians.  The number of people spurning the political process is steadily rising. Youth especially are running from politics, not only because they are lazy and ignorant, but also because they have seen the futility of being proactive and informed.  

    I believe there is a middle ground between these two extremes.  Bear in mind, this is just my personal philosophy.  If you want to be a political junkie, go for it.  If you want to move to the middle of the desert and live off of small rodents and cactus juice, be my guest.  My personal interests and convictions have led me to my current political attitude.  I believe in being modestly involved in the political process.  I vote when I can (moving 4 times in 5 years can make that logistically difficult) and I pay attention to what's happening in the news.  I appreciate having a functional knowledge of the political process and landscape.  If I'm being honest, a little part of me enjoys the chaos of politics.  On the other hand, I refuse to put my faith in a system created by man.  I refuse to obsess over the results of an election.  I refuse to worry about it.  This has an inherent limiting factor when it comes to how much of my life I feel called to dedicate to the irreligious political system of our land.  I'll try to work for what change I can, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm not wasting my time.  That's my political philosophy.

    This philosophy is derived, to the best of my knowledge, from Scripture.  My religion dictates everything else in my life, so it applies as equally to politics as it does to my career, entertainment, family life, etc.  One verse that has stuck out to me of late is Proverbs 29:26:  

Many seek the ruler's favor, but a man's justice comes from Yahweh.

What's interesting about this proverb is that the author was himself a powerful ruler.  He knew what he was talking about!  He was, no doubt, constantly surrounded by hordes of people vying for his attention in order to advance their own personal causes.  Kings have always had courts of people trying to line their pockets and render themselves relevant.  Solomon had the power and the wealth to control this type of people.  In his wisdom, however, he recognized that it is God who ultimately brings about justice.  It is God who truly paints the political landscape of a nation because He controls the king (Proverbs 21:1).  God's sovereignty was the foundational operating principle of Solomon's reign.  It is one of the worst disappointments of Biblical history that Solomon allowed false gods to creep into his heart.

    The principle I want to draw out is that no matter how involved or not involved we are in politics, whether we're helpless peons or political insiders, we need to remember that God is in control.  He is sovereign over the political ups and downs of history.  That is no excuse for inactivity and ignorance, but it does mean that we don't have to worry.  We don't have define ourselves by what happens in the game of politics.  Even if everything were to go our way, politically speaking, we are still at the mercy of God.  Even if our party had the majority in the House and Senate, and had the Presidency, we would still be in His hands.  He provides for us.  He is our stability.  He is the source of our peace and security.  If you are not a Christian, then I share this as a message of hope.  There is a greater purpose to this life.  There is a higher plan.  There is Someone in control.  You, too, can have this peace.  If you are a Christian and you've forgotten this, then maybe you should step back from politics for a while and reassess your priorities and allegiances.    


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary