Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Protesting the National Anthem

    Stories about national anthem protests are becoming ubiquitous.  Whether sitting, kneeling, or raising their hands, more and more athletes are showing their disdain for police violence against blacks by refusing to embrace the traditional posture taken during the anthem.  Here are some thoughts on the issue.

    First of all, I mostly find this phenomenon to be annoying.  Is it an important topic?  Certainly!  I don't want to draw away from that, but the news coverage and the attention-grabbing that have resulted are mostly just annoying.  What's it really about, Colin?  Are you genuinely protesting something or are you just mad you suck now that Harbaugh (#JimHarbaughforpresident) is gone?

    Secondly, being free means you're allowed to protest injustice in non-treasonous, non-seditious ways.  If you want to kneel and pray for our country during the anthem, go ahead.  If you want to raise your fist to demonstrate anger, go ahead.  Heck, if you want to put your shoes on the wrong feet to show that you think cops act like three-year-olds, be my guest.  My thoughts on the matter shouldn't dictate your expression of frustration.

    Thirdly, why the anthem?  Does the anthem have anything to do with police brutality?  I'm not sure it does.  At a football game?  I'm not sure that's the best place.  I guess I get the "platform" argument, but I just don't think that would be my choice.  If I were a famous football player, I would probably find off-the-field ways to work for the changes I desired.  I would invest my resources and skills in groups that provide concrete opportunities to do good.

    Fourthly, what good is it really doing?  I mean, really?  Are you trying to get laws passed against violence against minorities?  They exist.  Are you trying to make police brutality illegal?  I'm pretty sure that's already a thing.  Legally speaking, protesting an anthem at a football game means absolutely nothing.  Zilch.  Nada.  Goose egg with a little bit of nil sprinkled in the middle.  Police brutality exists.  The videos we see on Facebook and Yahoo demonstrate this. To argue, however, that there is some sort of systemic conspiracy to brutalize blacks and that protesting this conspiracy will actually help is probably a little far-fetched.  We're not dealing with a policy that needs changed.  It is already illegal to shoot people who aren't posing a danger to the safety of the officers and/or civilians. What we're dealing with are individuals who are bad people--bad, violent cops who use their position of authority to satisfy their animalistic desires and public officials who won't hold them accountable even when sufficient evidence is found to prosecute.  MLK fought for legislative changes.  I don't know that there are any changes that can be made to overcome corrupt people in places of authority. We live in a day when "share this post" posts abound.  People think that changing their profile picture actually means something!  I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but words and emotions really don't do anything when it comes to black guys getting shot.  Raising your fist at a football game may make you feel good and get you on ESPN, but it really accomplishes nothing.

    So what do we do?  How can we overcome police brutality, particularly against minorities (it happens to white guys, too)?  Well, firstly, we need to stop making uninformed decisions about what really happened immediately after these situations occur.  How many times do supplemental reports come out that show that the cops were actually justified in using lethal force?  Actually, pretty often. Quit jumping to conclusions, people!

    Secondly, public awareness and civil transparency are vital.  Knowing your rights and respectfully insisting upon them can save your life.  Demanding on fair trials for police officers is also vital, and that goes both ways.  Those who were justified should be acquitted, obviously, and those who can be shown to have used excessive force must be punished.

    Thirdly, we need to be balanced.  There are racists in America, just like there are racists in every country.  Some of those racists are cops.  Some of those racist cops use excessive force.  That does not mean that all cops (or even the majority) hate black people and are going to beat them up.  We must avoid generalizations.  You cannot fight discrimination with discrimination.  Cops are not above the law and must be held to it, and I think most cops genuinely want to do that.  For every bad cop there are probably five or ten good cops.  Generating ill will towards police is not a productive solution.  Instead, the goal should be to hold accountable those police officers who break the law.

    Finally, there's nothing we can do to eliminate police brutality entirely.  This is true for two reasons.  1) If we find ourselves in a police state, how do we police the police?  If the people who are supposed to make sure the police are doing their job correctly won't do their job correctly, what are we supposed to do?  That's depressing, I know, but it is what it is.  2) You can't change a man's heart. Only God can do that.  There are plenty of policies, procedures, and tests that try to stop a racist with anger issues from getting a badge.  There's no way to stop 100% of cases of police brutality, just like there's no way to stop 100% of crime.  There will always be bad people out there, and no matter what we do, we can't keep all of them from gaining positions of authority.  You can vote and legislate all you want, but, especially in a job as stressful and disenfranchising as police work, you're going to have the occasional loose cannon.  That's not an excuse.  It's a reality in a sinful world.

    That's my two cents worth.  Stand for anthem, if you want, or don't.  It probably won't matter anyway.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary