Skip to main content

The Bible in the Back Seat

    My place of employment (one of the two) offers me the unusual opportunity to see in people's backseats and trunks on a daily basis (we sell bottled water and salt, which I sometimes load into customers' cars).  Besides the expected junk, things like clothing, sports equipment, and other oddities, I often spot Bibles in these cars.  Now, before I proceed any further, let me mention that I work in Green, Ohio, which, as with Northeastern Ohio as a whole, is pretty religious, Roman Catholicism being especially strong, so Bibles are not exactly unexpected.  Let's proceed.  These Bibles are usually lying placidly on the backseat or hiding in the seat pockets, that is, they're usually somewhere that does get much attention.  When I first started working at this employer (five long years ago), I had a wide array of reactions to seeing these Bibles.  Sometimes I was surprised, like, "They have a Bible in their car?"  Sometimes there was no surprise at all.  After all, many of our customers are open about their faith and discuss it explicitly.  Many of our customers shop with us because they know we are a Christian company.  My initial reaction upon seeing these Bibles was usually that of being pleasantly surprised.  "Oh, they must be Christians," I thought.  That reaction has since worn off.  

    As the years have passed and I have seen most of these Bibles gather dust, I have begun to wonder what it really means to have a Bible in your back seat.  Why have a Bible in your car if it is literally going to sit in the same exact spot for half a decade?  I've come to understand that having a Bible in your back seat means about as much as having a cross hanging from your neck or a Bible verse tattooed on your forearm--not much.  It means you own a Bible.  It means you want to feel like a Christian.  It means that you probably grew up in a religious family and/or culture.  You feel like having a Bible is a good thing.  

    Now, I don't really know most of our customers.  I can't speak to their general religious practices or lifestyles.  Many of these folks might have other Bibles that are marked and worn from use.  Maybe they just don't use antiquated paper anymore, preferring swiping through screens over hearing that beautiful, crisp sound of pages flipping.  I don't want to paint too broad of strokes here, and yet, an unused Bible in the back seat has sort of become a symbol for me.  It is the perfect picture of nominal Christianity.  The Bible doesn't affect our lives in any tangible or quantifiable way, but we still like to have one around so that we can feel religious.  We don't actually know what the Bible says (as study after study has shown), but we want the option of reading it if we ever need an emotional pick-me-up.  

    This is sort of a sore issue because I was that guy for a while.  My '89 Corsica (boy, was she a beaut!) always had a Bible in the backseat.  You might have to rummage through the fast food rappers and clothes to find it, but it was always there.  In fact, the cold/heat eventually destroyed the binding because I never removed it from the car.  That was a spiritually lean period in my life.  Entertainment and other hedonistic endeavors far outweighed the time and energy I invested in God's Word.  There was a direct correlation between that Bible wasting away in my back seat and my behavior failing to adhere to Biblical standards.  One of the most significant points in my life was when I bought a new Bible, not simply because I began to read it, but because it signaled the shift in my priorities that God had already begun to cause.

    It's not a bad thing to keep a Bible in your car.  In fact, it's a good thing.  However, confessing Christians need to go beyond that.  We  need to have our noses in the Bible and the Bible in our hearts.  The Bible should define who we are and how we lead our lives.  Our behavior and priorities should conform to God's immutable standards.  Only then will this pandemic of nominal Christianity be countered.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary