Skip to main content

Romans 1:1-7

"Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ, To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

   This passage demonstrates the denseness of the book of Romans.  In just the greeting of this letter you could do at least a couple of sermons.  I, however, will quickly glean a few major thoughts.  Firstly, we see, once again, the truth that the Gospel (the Good News about salvation of Christ) was not a foreign thing to the Old Testament, but was actually explicitly foretold by the Old Testament prophets.  Jesus was very clear about this.  One such example is Jesus on the road Emmaus, where "beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself" (Luke 24:27).  Another example is where Jesus criticized the Jews for they false faith in/obedience to the Law in John 5:46, "For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me."  The Old Testament and the New Testament are intimately connected.  The latter without the former is useless.  To understand the latter, you must be familiar with the former. 

    Secondly, we see the purpose of Paul and his companions.  It was to bring about the obedience of faith.  What does that mean?  Well, the NIV renders it "the obedience that comes from faith."  This demonstrates the Greek dualism that so pervades our Western consciousness.  Obedience and faith, to us, are two separate, though vitally connected things.  They can be separated, even though they should always come together.  To the Hebrew mindset, they are one.  Faith is obedience.  Faith is obedience to the Gospel.  Faith without works is dead.  That is the type of faith that the Bible calls for.  I like the ESV rendering, but the NIV brings out an element that, even if not present in this passage, is present in the Bible.  However, as I just said, it reveals a distinction that is unbiblical.  We today believe that people who have faith need to do good works.  Here's the problem with that.  In the Bible, if you do not obey, you don't have faith.  It's as simple as that.  Your works don't earn you salvation, but they do serve to substantiate your claim to faith.  They are the inevitable results of faith because faith and repentance are two sides to the same coin.  Faith is how we become a part of Christ.  It is obedience to the command (command...not offer...) to believe in Christ and obey Him. 

   Thirdly, we see that God calls us to be saints.  Throughout the Bible we see the word saint and we see the concept behind that word--sanctification.  It's a vital concept to Christianity.  We are set apart, as a covenant body, by God.  It is our constant duty and calling to personalize the Gospel.  We are given the sacraments to picture the separation that is required of us.  Baptism is a mark.  It's like a wedding ring that reminds us of our duty to separate ourselves from other women.  Christ is our husband and we are to be set apart to Him.  The Lord's Supper pictures the communion that we have with our husband.  By visibly partaking of His symbolical body, we are reminded of the calling that is upon us.  The Old Testament had a sacrament of initiation (circumcision) and sacraments of participation (the feasts, sacrifices, sabbaths, i.e.).  In the New Testament we are given just two signs to picture all the separation that the Old Testament ceremonial system pictured, only, ours is much better because it is fulfilled. 

    We are loved by God.  What a crazy, amazing fact!  We are called to be saints.  What a heavy, serious responsibility.  We need to love others like God hsa loved us and separate ourselves from sin, just like James said in James 1:27: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary