Skip to main content

Thoughts on Lent

It is no wonder that those who celebrate the Lord's Table quarterly (if that) have little use for a penitential season like Lent.  When our religion is entirely propositional and intellectual, it often becomes stripped from the reality of our physical bodies.  When worship is reduced to listening to a theological lecture and singing (or mouthing) some choruses, we have gnostically disregarded our bodies as nothing more than hapless bystanders before the throne of grace.

Lent teaches us to say "No" to ourselves.

Lent teaches us to be moderate, even in good things.

Lent teaches us to worship the Creator and not His Creation, the Giver and not the gifts, the Provider and not His provision.

Lent teaches us that we are dust, wholly weak and worthless apart from our Creator and Redeemer.

Lent teaches us that something far greater than this world awaits us.

Lent is a devotional tool that helps us apply the principles of the Bible.  It is a voluntary season of physical acts that can support spiritual growth.

Lent is a blessing.

Lent is an opportunity.

Lent reminds us that our Lord became flesh and endured temptation, defeating the power of Satan and Death, and empowering us to overcome temptation in our own lives.

Lent teaches us to fast when it is time to fast, and to feast when it is time to feast.

I have heard Lent called pagan, even compared to yoga, but that is not an apt comparison.  Ascetic practices like fasting have, of course, been featured in many different religions, but the practice of fasting for 40 days before Easter developed as a time of preparation for those who were to be baptized (catechumens) on Easter, which was considered the optimal day for baptism. Eventually the practice transferred to the congregation as a whole as a way to show solidarity with the catechumens. 40 days is, of course, a significant number in the Bible, but it was particularly chosen for Lent because of its association with the wilderness narratives of the Exodus and the temptation of Christ.  Lent slowly became an ecumenical practice as the Church calendar developed. Christianity became legal and the Church was beginning to frame time around her Faith (much like the Jews did when they came out of Egypt). The Church calendar is simply a way of taking Biblical devotional practices (feasting, fasting, praying, worshipping, etc.) and organizing them in a catechetical way.  Remember, most Christians didn't have, nor could they read, a Bible, so structuring the year was a way to communicate the truths of the Gospel in a practical way. This is not pagan, nor is it Papist (Lent predates the dominance of the RCC by a couple of centuries).  In fact, it is manifestly Christian and Biblical.

Lent acquaints us with our own inadequacy.

Lent reminds us that God is with us in the wilderness.

Lent assures us that grace not only washes away our sins, but also resurrects us to new life in Christ.  We are not only forgiven, but empowered.

Lent reminds us that our sin is so heinous that forgiving it required the death of the God-man. 

Holy Week reminds us that death must come before resurrection.

Holy Week reminds us that we all put Jesus on that cross.

Holy Week reminds us that our Savior took on true flesh and blood, endured real temptation (yet without sin), and suffered actual physical pain and genuine mental anguish.

Holy Week reminds us that darkness comes before light.

Good Friday reminds us that God's love and justice are equally inviolable.  

Holy Saturday reminds us that hell itself cannot withstand the power of our Lord.

Easter reminds us that death doesn't win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary