Skip to main content

Things I Learned from My Father

My father spent the majority of his adult life teaching.  Whether he was teaching children at school or parishioners at church, he was always teaching.  It has been touching, even overwhelming, to hear so many people express how his teaching left an indelible mark on their lives, whether academically or spiritually, or both.  

He was no different at home.  No matter what we were doing, he was always teaching us.  He viewed his children as his primary pupils, and he taught us everything he knew how to teach.  I'm sure we didn't always appreciate his intentions, but, as I reflect on my childhood and as I interact with my children, I can now appreciate his desire to impart knowledge constantly.  

Here, in no particular order, are some things I learned from my father.


Way more Beatles' trivia (including conspiracy theories) than any human being really needs to know.

To be epistemologically self-conscious. 

To hate losing, no matter what the contest. 

That imperatives flow from indicatives.

The relative unimportance of money.

The difference between the Ontological Trinity and the Economic Trinity.

How to throw a Wiffle ball.

To love the Psalms.

That America's fiat currency is bound to be inflated to the point of worthlessness.

The right way to play Euchre.

To love words.

To appreciate the beauty of music, even if the lyrics are in Italian.

The pleasure of a good book and a cup of tea.

To be kind to animals.

The value of Leslie Nielsen's humor. 

The responsibilities of fatherhood.

Which Star Trek movies were any good (it's the even numbered ones).

The historical importance of the Diet of Worms.

To be a lifelong learner.

That "Don't drink, don't chew, don't run with girls that do" is a shallow ethic.

That calling comes first.

That Christian education is vital to the restoration of the Church and this nation.

To do absolutely everything to the best of my ability.

To take every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ.

To use a ruler/straightedge when underlining in books.

About a dozen things that, if done while playing cards, will get you shot in a bar (I'm pretty sure he never once played cards in a bar).

To be as hospitable as God enables you to be.

That large foreheads are a sign of intelligence.

That academic degrees are often worth less than the paper on which they are printed.

Never to split an infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition.

That never is never a verb.

That bacon, popcorn, and licorice are essential food groups.

The meaning of the Hebrew word shamar.

How to sweep, mop, and wax a floor.

The importance of properly grieving the loss of a loved one, especially a parent.


The list could go on ad infinitum.  Those of you who knew him could add to this list, I'm sure.  As the weeks go on, I'll probably add more as they come to my mind.

There were other things he tried to teach me, like Geometry, that just didn't stick.  There were many things that he didn't know how to teach, but what he did know, he conveyed to as many people as possible.  I hope the same can be said of me when I pass. 

Some more that came to mind:

The importance of objective truth.

To pay attention to the details.

That every man is, and must be, a theologian.

How to shoot a hook shot.

That if you live by the pass, you die by the pass.

To love the beauty of the King James Version, even though King James was a terrible person.

That curiosity is a sign of intelligence.

That you should always eat your dessert first because, if the roof suddenly caved in, it would be terrible to have eaten your vegetables and not your dessert.

That a life lived for entertainment is a life wasted.

To be careful when you see a woman with her arms crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary