Skip to main content

To Obey or Not to Obey: An Inner Dialogue

The commands of God found in the Scriptures are often at odds with our personal inclinations.  This is to be expected; it is the unfortunate reality of post-lapsarian existence.  If you read the Bible and do not find anything insulting to the desires of your flesh, you're reading it incorrectly.

For Americans this is perhaps most apparent when we comes to the sections of Scripture that instruct us to submit to our governing authorities.  When we read passages like Romans 13:1-7, Titus 3:1, or 1 Peter 2:13-17, we may feel the natural man rising up against the clear command from God to honor and submit to the authorities, whether civil, religious, or familial, that He has placed over us.  There is nothing mankind loathes more than submission.  Our parents' first sin in the Garden is often identified as pride, but it was rebellion against the sovereign authority of our Creator that truly plunged our race into the darkness of guilt and sin.

At the same time, we must not oversimplify the issue.  Some have used submission to governmental authority is an excuse for sin and cowardice.  However, the Bible is just as clear that, when we are forced to choose between the two, we must obey God rather than man.  But how are we to know when to obey and when to rebel?  How do we know when to submit and when to revolt?  How do we know if we are giving vent to our natural inclinations or if we are obeying God rather than man?

This is the struggle I am experiencing of late.  I recognize in myself this universal human tendency to reject authority.  Like Paul, I find a spirit within me that simply doesn't like being told what to do.  Stay home?  Heck no!  Wear a mask?  Nah, I'm good.  At the same time, I genuinely believe that the actions of our government officials have been politically motivated and will do more harm than good.  Am I being stubborn?  Or am I resisting unjust laws?  Am I rejecting the proper authorities God has placed over me?  Or am I standing up for liberty and justice?  I honestly cannot say.

Complicating this matter is that I was blessed to be born in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.  We Americans are all descendants, physically or politically, of rebels.  After the Colonials had thrust off the yoke of the Monarchy, they developed a government founded upon the principle of Lex Rex, which teaches that the law is the supreme government of the land.  What this means for the common man is that every citizen, including government officials, are bound by the laws of the Land.  No one, not even the King, is above the law.  Our governing authorities, properly speaking, are the laws of the land, not the public officials who are elected to administer those laws.

So, what are Christians in America to do?  Do we submit to the governing authorities?  Or do we stand up and resist the asinine and arbitrary restrictions they have placed upon us?  Where is the line between obeying God and obeying man?  I don't know.  I suppose each individual, and each church body, will have to make that decision.

As we attempt to navigate our cultures and crises by the map of God's Word, we must examine our hearts.  Are we obeying God rather than man?  Or are we rejecting God by rejecting the authorities he has placed over us?  Are we fighting for liberty?  Or are we trying to justify a spirit of rebellion?

I will leave you today with a quote from the revered Presbyterian Stephen Charnock.

"Magistrates must then be obeyed when they act according to God's order, and within the bounds of the divine commission.  They are no friends to the sovereignty of God, that are enemies to his magistracy, his ordinance." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary