Skip to main content

COVID-19, Race Wars, & Conspiracy Theories

Race wars.  Rioting.  Protests.

COVID-19.  Masks.  Vaccines.

Sex trafficking.  Jeffrey Epstein.  Pizzagate.

Conspiracy theories have absolutely dominated the Internet in 2020, and they seem to be coming from both sides of the aisle.  Is Bill Gates trying to push mandatory vaccines and depopulate the world?  Are cops starting the riots?  Did the government release footage of aliens?  It seems like each new day brings another major scandal uncovered by Internet bloggers.

It would be a mistake to believe that conspiracy theories are a new phenomenon.  In fact, history is replete with tall tales and legends of dirty deeds done by elitists behind closed doors.  The Internet, as it normally does, has simply provided a new platform for the proliferation of such theories.  Much like the printing press, the Internet has given a voice and sense of legitimacy to people and ideas that once languished in darkness.  This exposure is both good and bad.  Sure, conspiracy theories are annoying and delegitamize valid information on the Internet, but, as it's been said, it's not a conspiracy theory if it's not a theory.  The Internet has exposed many crimes and sins that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.  The Internet is much like life--you have to take the good with the bad.

So, why do conspiracy theories seem to be so prevalent lately?  Or, perhaps the better question would be, why do people seem to embrace these theories so readily today?  I think there are two major reasons.

First of all, our government education system has failed to teach our children to think critically.  As a general rule, we react quickly, instinctually, and emotionally, instead of slowly, deliberately, and logically.  Maybe it's just human nature.  Add the ease of "sharing" information on the Internet to the fact that we don't really value a good reputation anymore, and you have a recipe for the rapid dissemination and imbibing of unfounded theories.  Instead of deductively researching a topic, an activity for which we are much too intellectually lazy, we follow our gut reaction and spread it.

Secondly, and more positively, we have been trained to distrust those in positions of power by documented scandals and secrecy.  What do our government officials expect?  Theory after theory has gone unanswered or been proven to be correct, in full or part.  Dismissive explanations have been offered, insulting the intelligence of anyone who can think critically, or at least has some common sense.  Politicians make shady deals with CEOs, lobbyists steer public policy, and government incompetence is on full display for the world to see.  Why don't we trust the government?  Why would we?  Why don't we trust the medical establishment?  Why would we?

And on and on it goes...

Anyone who studies history and has seen the evils perpetrated upon men by other men is bound to begin looking for conspiracies.  Kings and emperors used to use and abuse people openly.  Now it's done behind closed doors.  We the people know this.  We know that inexplicable things are happening, and we know that we're not receiving the whole story, so we develop conspiracy theories.  We are forced to decide whether our "leaders" are evil geniuses or just that stupid, and sometimes it's difficult to decide.

So, the next time you come across a conspiracy theory online, don't be so quick to dismiss it or believe it.  Think critically.  Examine the evidence.  There are nutty people out there spreading disinformation, but there are also evil people in places of power who are willing to do anything to retain and/or expand that power.

Never underestimate the stupidity or the greed of mankind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary