Skip to main content

When Ideology becomes Idolatry

Occasionally I will engage in debates with others on the Internet about things like politics and theology.  I don't do this nearly as often as I used to, but, nonetheless, I still find myself trapped in a dead-end conversation every once in a while.  These conversations are rarely informed and are even less often productive.  Numerous reasons for this could be listed, but I want to discuss only one: ideology worship--one of the most common forms of idolatry in the Information Age.

What is ideology?  The short answer is that an ideology is a system of beliefs.  The term usually implies a nearly-immutable set of beliefs that provides the structure whereby data is received and interpreted.  Anything can be an ideology.  Conservatism is an ideology, but so is liberalism.  Theism, in whatever form you find it, is an ideology, but so is atheism.  Everyone has some form of ideology.  Ideologies vary in rigidity, and some are implicit, but everyone has an ideology by which they live.  We all have some framework that guides 1) how we interpret the information we receive and 2) how we apply it to our behavior.  Ideology is inescapable.  We tend to define ourselves, to one extent or another, by our ideology.  I am a Christian.  I am a Republican.  I am a musician.  I am a vegan.  You fill in the blank.  The more important the subject being addressed, the more demanding our ideology will and should be.  Ideologies, much like ogres, have layers.  "I am a Christian," for instance, should determine my behavior more than "I am a vegan" (I am not actually a vegan, for the record).

Being ideological, then, is not inherently wrong.  People throw that word out there like it's an insult, but it's not.  Far from it.  If you called me ideological, I'd thank you!  What gets us into trouble, however, is when we 1) fail to recognize that we are biased by our ideology; 2) idolize our ideology; and, therefore, 3) allow our ideology to blind us to obvious fallacies in our logic.  It is unavoidable to be 100% objective.  No one can expect that from anyone else because none of us can possibly achieve it personally.  I don't even know if it's ideal to do so, but that's another discussion altogether.  The first step to processing information honestly is to admit our bias, not deny that it exists.

Ideology moves to idolatry when we allow it to define us and guide us rather than what that ideology affirms.  Let me explain.  I am a Christian.  That means that I believe in and worship Jesus Christ.  He is my Lord and Savior, and that should and will affect my life.  Ideology becomes idolatry when I begin to worship Christianity instead of Christ.  I worship my ideology I do whatever Christianity, whatever institution or tradition that implies, says, even if it contradicts what Christ said and did.  When I allow dogma to overrule Jesus, I have committed idolatry.  Let's take another example: conservativism.  I consider myself a conservative, generally speaking.  By that I mean that I generally agree with conservative political policies and morality.  Ideology becomes idolatry when being a conservative is more important than actually following any of the policies that conservatives supposedly espouse (not to mention when being a conservative is more important than being a Christian or [fill in the blank]).  When I vote for a conservative despite the fact that he is immoral, impudent, and immature, I have idolized conservativism.  When I'm okay with raising the debt ceiling again because a conservative does it, but I railed against Obama when he did it, conservatism is more important to me than the truths that comprise conservatism.

Why do we this?  Well, we like to feel smart.  We like to have things black and white (gray areas are scary).  We want to have an answer to every question because we don't want to have to think things through situationally.  We prefer a system that divides all of life's issues into neatly arranged categories from which we can choose.  As a result, any ideas that require us to think outside of those lines are categorically rejected.  This may be the path of simplicity, but it is not the path to truth and/or peaceful coexistence.  Anyone who has all the answers simply doesn't know the right questions to ask. 

So, if we're all going to be ideological, what do we do?  For starters, we can stop arguing on the Internet.  Iron sharpens iron, to be sure, but the Internet is rarely a good place for that sort of thing.  Secondly, whenever we do argue on the Internet (let's be honest, we're going to), we must be willing to admit to ourselves that we are approaching the issue with at least some bias and that we are not really considering the position of our opponents with a 100% open mind.  Admitting that to yourself will render pointless such debates.  Finally, we need to ask ourselves what's more important to us: our ideology or the truths it claims.  The first is hypothetical.  The second is real life.  The first is easy.  The second is difficult.  Do we worship God or theology?  Do we love liberty and freedom, or do we love American conservatism?  You fill in the blank with your ideology and ask yourself that difficult question.  Are we ideologues or are we idolaters?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary