Skip to main content

On Staying Woke

There is a saying being bandied about lately, namely, stay woke.  I will explain the meaning of this for the benefit of those who are too square or just too old to understand such modern vernacular.  When kids these days say, "Stay woke," what they really mean is "Stay awake."  I know...it's crazy.  Now they don't mean that you should literally stay awake, of course.  What they really mean is that you should stay abreast of the social, political, and economic issues that are facing our world today.   Instead of saying "Stay woke," you could say "Be socially aware," but that would make too much sense and would never catch on.  As with many misuses of the English language, stay woke has caught on not despite that fact that it is grammatically incorrect, but because it features grammar that is not simply bad, but distinctively bad.  It's so bad that it has caught on.  If you're the adventurous type, you can go over to the Urban Dictionary and read some of the definitions (I take no responsibility for what you read there!) they offer.

Staying woke, while grammatically incorrect, is an excellent idea.  I am grateful to have been raised in a household where a general education was prioritized.  Politics/political theory, economics, and history were discussed and studied in our house because my parents, particularly my father, wanted us to be aware of the issues of the day and how we should react to them as Christians.  Sometimes that meant just sitting back and watching the dumpster fire that is our political system burn, but, hey, at least we were aware!  I really don't want this to come across as a pride thing.  I'm not saying that we were the best-educated folks in the world, but at least they tried to make sure we would grow up to be semi-intelligent people who knew what was transpiring in the world.

This type of upbringing is, unfortunately, one which many of my peers did not receive.  Many of the Generation Xers dedicated far too much time to hedonistic endeavors (sports, TV/movies, etc.) and far too little time taking advantage of the educational advances of the past two centuries.  In others words, technology, which should make us smarter, has dumbed us down.  The result is a generation of millennials who resent their parents' ignorance of and apathy towards social issues.  They view their parents and grandparents as outdated, backwards, and crude.  They are sick of the status quo that has been perpetuated by generations of bipartisan politics and big-banker "capitalism."

This current "wokeness" has also been fueled by the social media age.  Everyone has a voice.  Everyone has an opinion.  We are all constantly aware of every political issue, social controversy, and violent tragedy, etc.  The last election, a fitting illustration of our country's decline, was inescapable for the better part of year.  Celebrities used social media to spread the word about voting and our beloved president himself employed (and, unfortunately, continues to employ) Twitter to stir up the liberals throughout his campaign. 

As I said, staying woke is a good idea.  Our country, no, mankind, has many issues and we should all be aware of what is going on in the world.  The problem is that being woke is not necessarily the same thing as being educated.  It's a self-perpetuating cycle.  Those who resent their parents' apathy towards social issues were rarely the recipients of the type of education that qualifies someone to rectify the world's problems, which means that Millennials' reactions to social injustices and ineffective economic policies are often well-intentioned, yet poorly-informed.  Basically we have a generation of zealous young people who have no concept of history, economics, etc.  They voice their opinions loudly and often, but they really don't understand the fundamental principles of government and finance.  This is, my friends, what generations of parental apathy and public education have produced--dissatisfied and restless ignoramuses. 

Wokeness, then, should never be divorced from education.  Put more timelessly, social and political activity should always be based upon a well-educated understanding of the issues.  Few things in this world are more dangerous than ignorant zeal.  Ever heard of the French Revolution?  If not, you probably shouldn't try to start a revolution in America.  If you have, you're aware of the instability and bloodshed that can result from misguided antipathy.  The French lower and middle classes knew what they didn't want (a political system that perpetuated the abusive corruption of the lower classes by the upper class), but they didn't really have a plan for replacing it (chopping off heads only really gets you so far).  Our current system is absolutely corrupt and broken, but replacing it with more corruption and even less effective economic policies is not the answer.

So, my friends, stay woke, but, even more importantly, read a book or two. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary