Skip to main content

Arrival: A Review

My most recent Redbox acquisition was the new sci-fi flick Arrival.  I had heard nothing but rave reviews from critics and friends alike, including my two brothers, so I went in expecting a good film. I was not disappointed.  Here is a smattering of thoughts on Arrival.

First of all, this film is slow.  There is little action (like, almost none), so if you're looking for something along the lines of Alien, you'll be disappointed.  If you're looking for something more
thought-provoking and intriguing (not that Alien is not those things), something like the first Star Trek film, you'll be pleased.  Perhaps slow is an unfair term to use for such a masterfully directed film.  Like Denis Villeneuve's (perhaps my favorite up-and-coming director) previous films, Prisoners and Sicario, this film is not so much slow in the monotonous, uninteresting way, but in that it tells the story deliberately.  Every single angle in the film contributes to advancing the story.  The second half of the film has a faster pace because the groundwork for the characters and story has been largely established, but the entirety of the film has the same sense of intentionality about it.  In other words, if you only like dumb movies with explosions and naked people, you probably won't appreciate the artistic nature of this film, but that's your own fault and you should grow up.

Secondly, this film is beautiful, even on DVD (the dang Blu Ray was out of stock!).  It is visually stunning.  Again, every angle is thought-out, much like Only God Forgives.  The director maximizes both the richness of color and the mystery of darkness to entertain and to communicate his message. If you see this film for no other reason, see it because it is aesthetically pleasing.

Thirdly, this film is clean.  He added an "f-bomb" literally to ensure a PG-13 rating (the official reason for the rating is simply "for brief strong language"), and he even managed to insert it organically.  For some reason PG films just aren't taken seriously, so I understand his motivation. This film was certainly designed for adult audiences.  The rating probably could have included "thematic elements" simply because of the emotional nature of the main character's story.  It is encouraging to know that you can tell a good story for adults without all that smut.

Fourthly, this film is original and well-written.  All sci-fi films contain some element of their forebearers, but this one does so only slightly.  The concept of aliens coming to earth and parking ominously around the world is pretty standard, but the appearance of the aliens, the plane of existence on which they exist, and the general story will all be things you have never seen before.  You will be gripped in the beginning, intrigued throughout, and surprised at the end.  The content of this film could very easily have been confusing and clumsy, but, for the moderately-intelligent viewer, everything comes together nicely at the end in a clear-yet-mind-blowing way.  Like many other great films, Arrival is based on a book, The Story of Your Life.  I have a feeling I would enjoy it.  Just having good source material is not enough, however.  Writing a good adaptation and unfolding it on screen are impressive feats, perhaps more so than starting from scratch.  This is absolutely sure to win an Oscar for best adaptation.

Fifthly and finally, this film is powerful.  It has a message, without a doubt.  The message is, however, not so much political as it is human.  It defies the normal boundaries of a "political" movie. Some have observed pro-life themes in this film, but those themes are organic and broader than a "conservative" or "right-wing" agenda being forced down your throat.  Nor does it seek to indoctrinate the viewer with "leftist" propaganda.  The message of this film is not dictated by any established political ideology, but sets forth a unique message of unity and life.  It also discusses profound concepts like time and language, both of which were fascinating.  It is rare for a film that exists in the world of fantasy to be so profoundly personal and powerful (I almost cried at the end).

Overall, this film deserves all of the praise that has been heaped upon it.  You should rent it at your earliest convenience.  This film somehow manages to engage all of the viewer's faculties.  Your blood will be pumping, your emotions will be gripped, and your soul will be touched.  You will be both completely entertained and thoroughly moved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary