Skip to main content

The Greatest Commission

And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

    I'm going to take an approach to this verse somewhat different than the one I normally do.  Normally I would harp on the lordship of Christ over all of life, especially politics (a most-worthy topic), but today I want to discuss another side of what this lordship really means.

    Jesus tells his disciples that He has been given all authority in Heaven and on Earth.  I think we commonly focus on only one of these two factors.  Some people don't recognize the significance of Jesus's authority on Earth.  Some people overlook the impact of Christ's impact authority over Heaven.  Christ tells His disciples these words as an encouragement.  He gives it as a guarantee that their mission will be a success.  They will be successful evangelists.  And why?  Because the heart-changing God is the missions director.  As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 3:6, he planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God gave life to the seed and made it grow.  

    The fact that Jesus has been given all authority in Heaven guarantees that Jesus has all authority on Earth as well.  Certainly He who is at the helm of the universe holds governance over this one small planet!  Our work on this Earth is backed by the fact that Jesus, the one in Heaven interceding for us, is the Lord of the Earth.  Jesus is our King, and we are told to covert others to His Kingdom.  Jesus's Kingdom is spiritual, but spiritual things, if they are truly spiritual, will impact the society and culture around them.  But that isn't what I'm trying to get at today.

    We are called to be warriors.  These words uttered by our Lord are battle orders.  The Scripture tells us, however, that we are night fighting an earthly type of war (even though it is most definitely on the Earth).  We are not fighting with weapons made of physical matter, taking physical lives.  The Israelites were commanded to wage holy war as part of God's punishment on evil nations, but we simply have no such order.  Holy war is not the goal of the Christian Church.  The Crusades were misguided, to say the least.  Spiritual warfare is our duty, however.  We are to combat the forces of evil.  We are to take dominion over lives that were once ruled by Satanic forces, and we are to do so in the name of Christ, our heart-conquering King.  That is the concept Jesus confers in the word "disciples".  Disciples are students.  They are followers.  They are citizens of a Kingdom.  They are warriors.  Discipleship should be like a never-ending spiritual bootcamp!

    Jesus tells us what this training should involve: "...all that I have commanded you."  That's pretty broad.  As Jesus gave creedance to the Old Testament Scriptures and promised His Spirit would guide the Apostles, we can safely assume that would include all of the Scripture. 

    Jesus solidified the command by promising that He would accompany His people on their journeys.  We read in John that this would be in the form of His Spirit.  The Church is the age of the Spirit.  Jesus is inside of us, guiding us and loving us and illuminating us. 

    As a total aside...where do we find the idea that only pastors or elders can baptize (or give communion...or marry people)?  This is a common belief, but one I have begun to question, or at least seek to substantiate.  Perhaps one would say that Jesus gave this command to baptize to the Apostles, who would in turn ordained other men.  That sounds alot like Apostolic succession, which is a Catholic belief we broke from in the Reformation.  We retained their reverence of the clergy, however.  The anabaptists did not, which is about the only thing they got right.  I see nothing in any of the New Testament (or the Old), that would make me think baptism is transferrable only by pastors.  I welcome any comments in this regard.  I am honestly searching for an answer.

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary