Skip to main content

2011 in Review

    The beginning of a new year generally encourages reflection on the previous year.  Today at church all the men of the congregation stood up and gave a general update of the state of the union, if you will, from the past year.  It was encouraging and divinely challenging.  We have been so blessed as children of God, and we need to live our lives in a manner that manifests our appreciation of this familial blessing.

    I began my short time (that lasted longer than I planned) with these words from Luke 11:11-13: "What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”  God is a powerful Father, but more significantly, He is a good Father who seeks our good.  As Romans 8 tells us, He works all things for our spiritual and physical good.  That is a powerful thought that we'd do well to cherish!  God, the author of life and of all things, is concerned about our well being!  He knows what is best and has the power to accomplish it for us in our lives.  Sometimes it won't feel that way, and that's where faith in His character comes into play.  In tough situations we are called to believe firmly that God is not only able, but also willing to do what is best for us. 

    I have experienced much this year.  I have been overwhelmed with good things.  My cup has not ceased to overflow with the abundance God has provided for me.  I began a new job April 11.  I married my wife the 18th day of June.  I'm not sure why she married me.  I didn't do much to warrant her desire of such a commitment.  People say that all the time, but my mistakes in this relationship actually prove I'm right.  She has followed her Heavenly Father's example in forgiving, and I keep that fact before my eyes constantly. 

    On July 15 my wife met me at the door with a smile and a positive pregnancy test.  Four pregnancy tests later (just to make sure), we decided she was probably pregnant.  Her bulging belly and the kicking baby are growing right along and we expect a covenant child in the middle of march.  We have been blessed abundantly in preparing for our baby.  Two words: free stuff! 

     This next year promises to be even busier than last year.  I have decided to start many edifying habits this year, and I pray the Lord strengthens me in my endeavors.  God bless and Happy New Year!  May He keep our eyes on Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary