Skip to main content

Beto O'Rourke, Gun Control, and the Folly of Liberalism

Have you ever heard something and thought, "That's about the dumbest thing I've heard this year!"?

Something along those lines shot through my head Tuesday evening as I watched about 15 minutes of the Democratic debate that was held in my home state of Ohio (15 minutes was about all I could take before I had to turn on Blackish).  About halfway through the debate Anderson Cooper directed an unusually poignant question towards Beto O'Rourke (the transcript is here), addressing O'Rourke's recent statements regarding a mandatory buyback of assault weapons.  After quoting the Congressman's own words, Cooper asked, "...You said police wouldn't be going door to door.  So how exactly are you going to force people to give up their weapons?  You don't even know who has those weapons."

Cooper challenged O'Rourke to add some substance to the rhetoric he's been employing on the campaign trail, and, let's just say, O'Rourke failed miserably.  He sounded like an idealist who has never interacted with reality in any meaningful way.  The question, of course, led to other candidates sounding off on the issue.  The progressives were all trying to sound more totalitarian than each other, while the moderates were trying to make excuses for why they weren't as totalitarian as the progressives.  It was all very depressing.  All the while the group of politicians and entrepreneurs was using generic terms like "machine guns" and "assault-style weapons," demonstrating conclusively that they have no idea what kind of guns they're even trying ban.

I'd like to focus on Beto for a moment because I think his response to Cooper's question was particularly revealing.  Beto is the idealist of the group.  He's the dreamer.  He's the guy who wants to be in power so badly, which is always dangerous, because he really, truly wants to change the world.  Not only does he want to change the world, but he genuinely believes that he is the one person qualified to change the world.  He's going to make this world a better place, the Bill of Rights be damned!  True believers like Beto are the most dangerous kind of all!

Lost amidst the chaos of a debate featuring a dozen candidates was Beto's perspective on humanity.  When faced with the reality of how he would force people to give up their assault weapons without the use of force, he again spewed inspirational rhetoric.  He said, "So I expect my fellow Americans to follow the law, the same way that we enforce any provision, any law that we have right now."  Moments later he added, "But the expectation is that Americans will follow the law.  I believe in this country.  I believe in my fellow Americans.  I believe that they will do the right thing."

Let that sink in for a moment.  Go back and reread that once or twice.  Really think about that.  Okay, here we go.

Congressman, you believe in your fellow Americans, but you don't think you can trust them with assault weapons?  If you really believed in the people of this nation, you wouldn't try to micromanage their lives.  If you really believed that the people of this great nation had a proclivity to do the right thing, you would not be Progressive Democrat who sees legislation and regulation as the panacea for all that ails mankind.

Congressman, you don't really believe in the American people.  You believe that the American public cannot and should not be trusted with a specific type of weapon.  You believe that those weapons will be used for evil and must be confiscated.

Congressman, isn't murder illegal?  Do murderers obey laws?  Of course not!  People who choose to take the lives of their fellow citizens have already abandoned the rule of law and, therefore, have no apprehension about sourcing weapons illegally.  When you make laws, only law-abiding citizens follow them, which is precisely why gun-control laws are consistently ineffective.  Taking weapons out of the hands of those who use them lawfully is hardly the answer to stopping crime.  History has repeatedly shown that making an item illegal will not keep it out of the hands of criminals.  Even if you ban the manufacture of assault weapons, human ingenuity will find a way!

Beto illustrates perfectly the self-contradictory folly of liberalism.  It simultaneously insists that man is essentially good, but also attempts to over-regulate him.  Elitist pride is the linchpin to this convoluted ideology.  Mankind will have peace and harmony, they tell us, if everyone simply follows our rules!

Laws are only as good as the people you expect to follow them, but if you expect people to do the right thing, then oppressive laws are not necessary.  Congressman O'Rourke dreams of a Utopia where cake is both edible and retainable, but he is nonetheless left with an either/or proposition.  Either you believe in the American people and support their right to own firearms free of regulation, or you believe that they are untrustworthy and need to be controlled.  If you really believe that the populace cannot be trusted with assault weapons, then you should have no faith that they would relinquish those weapons voluntarily.

Beto, you're left going door to door to confiscate those weapons.  If you want to eradicate them from the hands of criminals, that is the only way.  So begins the descent into totalitarianism.

P.S.  I, for one, believe that he would have no problem going door to door, once he came into power.  Totalitarians always start out making promises that are impossible to keep and then enforce them by more realistic, lethal means.  Hence the need for the general population to be armed with so-called assault weapons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary