Skip to main content

Cultural War and the Purity of the Church

Abortion.

The sexual revolution.

The advancement of the LGBT agenda.

The subjectivity of morality.

Open hostility to Christianity and the Bible.

Despite what some people may tell you, these things are not new.  They are not novel.  These ideas and attitudes have existed throughout history in many different parts of the world.  The historical novelty is a nation acknowledging the true God and conforming their laws to His.  Again, despite what you've been told, this was largely the condition of our country at the time of its inception.  It is certain that there were many ideals and beliefs that formed the foundation of this melting pot we call the United States of America, but it is undeniable that a large contribution was made by Christianity and its values.  We were, in many ways, a Christian nation, or, at least, a nation of Christians.

This is why we got complacent.

It was easy to be a Christian.  It was normal to be a Christian and even abnormal not to be a Christian.  It was socially unacceptable to deny the existence of God or to live in a way that was opposed to the standards of the Bible and/or Christian tradition.

The result?  America became a nation full of nominal Christians whose only claim to religion was being baptized and occupying pews.

The truth will find you out.  This is no less true of a nation or a regional church than it is for individuals.  Nominal Christianity leads to lukewarmness, lukewarmness leads to moral decline, and moral decline leads to generations arising who question the faith of their parents and are unsatisfied with the answers their lukewarm parents give them.

As destructive as a cycle as this is, it actually has a positive effect on the Church.  As animosity grows towards the Church, including against the genuine abuses perpetrated by her leaders, those who are nominal Christians will leave en masse.  This mass exodus purifies and sanctifies the body of Christ.  The dross is burned away by the fires of persecution.  When being a Christian is more difficult, fewer will claim to be Christians falsely.  When it is socially acceptable to reject Christianity, only those who truly know God will hold the Faith.  When it is abnormal to be a Christian, fewer will embrace it nominally.

We're getting there.  We aren't there yet, but we're getting there.

There are still many nominal Christians in America, but they are leaving the Church in droves, and while we certainly want to evangelize and bring people to a saving knowledge of the Gospel, we should embrace the purification of the Church.  Getting more butts in pews, regardless of the price, is not God's design for building His Church.  We should be seeking the spiritual growth of the Church, not just her numerical proliferation.

We can no longer ignore the cultural war that is raging.  To do so will guarantee certain defeat.  It is time to recognize that the battles lines are being drawn and the banners are being flown.  A war is being waged and you have to pick a side.  On whose side will you fight?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary