Skip to main content

"An Early Grave" (a short story)

There I lay, arms--folded; eyes--closed; heart--beatless. 

I tried to draw a breath, but my diaphragm wouldn't heave.  I sat up, scanning the room curiously.  Moistened eyelashes and awkward glances pervaded the crowded sanctuary.

"Who died?"

"Oh..."

"When did I die?"

I didn't recall dying.

The proclamations of a country preacher sought to prepare each heart in the room for its own eventual expiration.  He pronounced good news and glad tidings with the voice of a career smoker.

"Why is this box so comfortable?"

Have you ever really thought about that?  Full disclosure--this was my first time in a casket, but I remember always thinking as a child that they looked senselessly comfortable.  I assume the corpse cares as much for the comfort of his casket as he does for its ornateness. 

"Ah...my favorite hymn!" 

The robust two-and-a-half part harmony bounced off of olive green walls and stained glass windows, blending with the broken sobs to form a scattered symphony.  I raised my voice to join them, but my untimely demise appeared to have rendered my vocal chords ineffective.  Even so, I mouthed the words.

"O praise him, Alleluia..."

I lifted my remains out of the pine box, placing a toe cautiously onto the awaiting floor.  Entranced by the mournful volley, I hardly noticed the grinding that reverberated through my frame with each step.  I proceeded to the front row where my family sat prominently.  Shock had obviously arrested the minds and hearts of half the family.  The other half were more forthright with their feelings.

Mourning affects people like that--invariably, yet variably.  Well-intentioned folks always tried to tell me how to mourn, but mourning is like liquor--it burns, and it affects everyone differently.

Predictably, my dad occupied the end of the uncomfortable pew.  For the life of me, I couldn't tell what he was thinking.  Something in his face told me my death disappointed him.  My mom stood by the casket, smiling.  She looked better than she had in years.

The preacher proceeded to pray, offering a benediction sprinkled with a little hellfire and brimstone.

Soon enough the sanctuary cleared, the majority of the macabre congregation reentering normal life as they exited the hardwood doors.

My family crowded around my casket for one last morbid look.  I peered over their shoulders at the shell of my soul.

"That's how they did my hair?!"

As big of a deal as we make about our hair, I don't suppose God cares what it looks like when He takes us home.

Logical, apathetic men guided my family deliberately into an outdated limo for the brief ride up the street to the historic cemetery.

"I guess this is as good a place as any to be laid to rest."

There's something painfully ironic about getting to ride in a limo on the way to a cemetery.

A much smaller crowd gathered at the grave-site than had filled the quaint sanctuary.  This was my inner circle--all the people who knew my middle name.

It is on Facebook, so I guess hundreds of people actually know my middle name, but you get the point.

The winter wind whipped through the jackets of the shivering pallbearers.  As they dropped the casket into place, some of the stoics in the crowd lost the tenuous control they had over their emotions.  The preacher said his final words and somebody began to sing "Amazing Grace" (the rest pretended to know the words).

"I do love this song."

As the crowd dispersed, some disinterested fellows lowered me cautiously into the earth.

"I guess this is it."

There I lay, arms--folded; eyes--closed; heart--beatless; six feet under and soon to be forgotten.

I stared down at the entombed coffin.  My mother put her arm around me, still smiling.

"Welcome home, baby."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary