Skip to main content

Demolished Church Buildings are the Seed of the Church

The Church of Jesus Christ is under attack!  From Kenya to Nigeria to China, the enemies of Jesus Christ are aggressively persecuting His people.  The mainstream media, while highlighting terror perpetrated against Muslims, has largely failed to publicize the systematic persecution of Christians throughout the world.  While American Christians like to think of themselves as persecuted, we haven't yet experienced anything approaching this level of hostility.  We are certainly not as popular or influential as in past centuries, but we have not yet shed our blood for our faith.

Recently emerging in the news is the story of a large church building being destroyed in China by the Chine government.  Something about this story feels symbolic.  Not only is the Chinese government trying to regulate and physically intimidate the Church out of existence, but it's literally destroying the buildings where Christians gather.  Nor is this by any means an isolated event.  Churches are being burned and desecrated around the world as the vitriol against Christianity takes tangible form in the destruction of private property that has been appropriated for the worship of the Triune God.

How are we as Christians to react to the systematic, deliberate, and often government-sanctioned persecution of our Faith?  Well, first off all, we shouldn't be surprised.  Jesus made it clear that we assume the risk of harm to our bodies and reputations when we become His disciples.  "If the world hates you," He consoles us, "know that it has hated me before it hated you."  Picking up one's cross, a euphemism for denying self and embracing suffering, is the norm for the Christian life. 

Secondly, we need to share our brothers' pain.  Just as suffering is a fundamental aspect of the life of the Church, so, too, is solidarity.  The Church of Jesus Christ, though international and eclectic, is one.  What affects one part of the Body impacts all of us.  In fact, love for our brethren is a fundamental sign that we are saved.  We need to remember our brothers in prayer and, so far as we have opportunity, with practical aid.

Finally, we need to remember that, while the world may persecute the Church, they cannot destroy it.  The world cannot overcome the Church!  Jesus gave us the confidence that the gates of hell will not prevail against His Church!  When we read about our Christian brethren being slaughtered, and when we see our own religious rights being encroached upon, it is easy to be discouraged.  We must remember, however, that they may harm our bodies, but they cannot harm our souls!  They may destroy our churches, but they cannot destroy the Church of Jesus Christ!  Furthermore, their efforts to eliminate Christianity from the face of the Earth will ultimately be counterproductive.

If you read through the book of Acts, you'll see that persecution is actually that which expands and strengthens the Church.  As Tertullian so famously put it, the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church.  Not only has God geographically disseminated the Gospel through troubles and trials, quantitatively increasing the Church, but He also qualitatively purifies His people by the fires of persecution.  So when you hear about Christians being persecuted, just remember that God is still in control.  Even injustices perpetrated against His people are a part of His immutable plan to establish and beautify the Bride of Christ!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary