Skip to main content

Joshua 23

Joshua 23 (take 3 minutes to read this passage)

    Have you ever had a friend who just couldn’t break free something or someone, even though he (or she) knew it was bad for them?  Maybe it was an addiction, or perhaps it was an ungodly friend or romantic relationship? Whatever it may have been, he (or she) knew it was spiritually harmful, but they just couldn't break free from it.
    
    In Joshua 23 we see how the Israelites were like this. We also see how important it is for us break free from these types of situations and to dedicate ourselves wholly to God.

    Verses 1-2 give us our context.  The Israelites have conquered much of the land, but there remains some occupied by various Canaanite people groups.  Meanwhile, Joshua is old and dying.  His days of leading the people in battle are over, so he calls the leaders together and he gives them a final charge.  This charge comprises the final two chapters of Joshua.  
    
    This charge includes three basic parts.  Firstly, he reminds them that God had been the One who drove out the nations from before them.  Moses constantly called the Israelites to remember this before they even approached the land.  Pride in taking the land would surely lead to losing it.  
    Secondly, Joshua exhorts them to finish the job.  If they failed to drive the evil nations out, they would intermix with them, which would, in turn, lead to idolatry.  If that happened, God would use those nations against them as a reminder of their disobedience.  We see exactly that scenario play out in the opening chapters of Judges.

    Thirdly, Joshua calls them to be diligent in loving God.  In Verse 8 he tells them to cleave (or grasp) to Him.  This was the only way that they would avoid idolatry.

    Now, you may be thinking, "What does this have to do with me?"  Well, we may not be called to fight physical wars, but we are called to spiritual warfare.  Ephesians 6 tells us that we do not fight against flesh and blood, but against the powers of spiritual darkness.  The Old Testament types are potent teaching tools that instruct us about spiritual warfare.  There are three basic lessons for us here.

    Firstly, God will help us to conquer our spiritual foes (Verse 5).  God has promised in the Old Testament and in the New that He will fight our battles for us.  He will do this both individually and corporately.  He helps us as individuals to fight our personal battles with sin and with those who are persecuting us because of Christ.  Corporately, He has promised that He will establish His Church and that not even the gates of hell will prevail against it!

    Secondly, God’s promises do not negate our need to fight our spiritual battles (Verses 6-10).  God's assurance of victory does not mean that we do not have to fight!  We see this in a couple of New Testament passages as well.

Philippians 2:12-13: “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”

Ephesians 6:10-11: “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”

    The fact that God's promises to work in us and to be our strength does not mean that we do not have to pick up the armor of God and work out our salvation with fear and trembling.  Sanctification is synergistic.  Everything that we do for God is a result of His work in us, but that doesn't mean that we sit back and do nothing.  As the old saying goes, He works in us, but not apart from us.

    Thirdly, if we compromise with our spiritual foes, God will use them against us (Verses 12-13).  If we get comfortable with our sins and refuse to drive them out, they will become "snares and traps...scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes."  If we prefer our sins to God, He will allow us to discover their vanity and darkness. 

Psalm 81:11-12: “But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me.  So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.”


    We see this also in Romans 1 where Paul twice speaks about God giving people up to their sins.  That is a horrible place to be, and, unfortunately, that's right where much of our nation and the Church is right now.

    As Christians who live in a relativistic, hedonistic culture, we need to be vigilant in our spiritual warfare.  We need to conquer our culture for Christ, starting with our own personal battles.  We do this by breaking free from the ways of the world and cleaving unto Yahweh our God (Verse 8).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary