Skip to main content

Some Thoughts on Worship: The Regulative Principle and More

    Worship--what a topic!  I don't have stats on this, but I'd wager that differences in the style of worship have caused as many Church splits as doctrine has, if not more.  Many times the differences rise no further than level of comfort.  In many Reformed communities, however, styles of worship are largely based upon what is known as the Regulative Principle of Worship (hereafter RP).  

    Now, I feel like I ought to offer a little bit of information about my theological upbringing.  I was raised in a Reformed Presbyterian church.  We used no instruments and sung exclusively from the Psalms.  The RP was the basis for our decisions about worship.  

    If you are not Reformed, you probably don't really know that that phrase means.  Heck!  I'm Reformed and I can barely nail down a clear definition.  Different groups claim to ascribe to it, with many of them defining it differently.  Basically, the RP (as regards worship) states that we are only permitted to worship in ways that God has prescribed.  This is opposed to those who say that we are free to do whatever we want, so long as God has not disallowed it.  

    The RP regulated our church's worship (and still does) in the belief that we were, in turn, basing our worship on the Bible.  We would argue with people about what things the Bible explicitly allowed/commanded and what things were extra-biblical.  It wasn't until recently that a thought came to me. What if the RP is not correct?  What if we have the freedom to worship God as our consciences and the Spirit lead us?  What if God is okay with less than perfect?

    The first order of business is deciding whether or not the Bible actually prescribes the RP.  If the Bible does not, then the principle falls upon its own reasoning.  Most proponents of the RP will point to such passages as Exodus 25:40 and Exodus 32:1-11, where God commands that the Tabernacle had to be built according to His precise instructions.  This sentiment is echoed in the construction of the Temple (1 Chronicles 28:11).  Another favorite is the story of Nadab and Abihu, where God punishes the wayward priests for desecrating his worship.  The principle drawn from these passage is, as we have seen, that God doesn't leave His worship up to the imagination of man.  He prescribes it.  If man has any part in determining worship practices, error will inevitably leak in.

    What is noticeably missing is any explicit word on this from the New Testament.  Proponents of the RP will point to passages that they think support the continuation of such a principle, but they offer nothing that explicitly or implicitly states it.  While I believe in the essential continuity of the Old and New Testaments, I also recognize that there are many differences.  Those differences are most noticeable in worship.  Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well that the day was coming when we would worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:24).  That day has come.  The worship system of the Old Testament was prophetic, whereas New Testament worship is set in a context of fulfillment.  

    For me, then, I need an explicit statement from the New Testament (this is somewhat generously granting that there is one in the Old Testament) saying that our worship is confined to God's explicit commands (and examples of the Apostles).  What we have, instead, is the idea that God leads through His Spirit.  We are permitted to use our consciences and the wisdom given to us by the Spirit in our worship of God.  In 1 Corinthians 14:40 Paul gives this standard for worship, "But all things should be done decently and in order."  Why is that not good enough?  Why is the "human element" the greatest fear of RP proponents?  

    Another passage that lends to this idea is Romans 12:2.  Paul says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good, and acceptable, and perfect."  RP proponents believe that God's worship will be corrupted if everything is not black and white.  God is not nearly as concerned.  Too often we long for safety.  Remember, safety always comes at a price.  When it comes to worship, this means that we are missing much edification and blessing that God has for us, just because we fear tainting His worship.

    Many of you are probably following my logic up to this point.  I may lose you with my next thought, however.  Where in Scripture do we find the idea of a worship service?  More precisely, where do we find this concept that it is okay to do certain things privately, but once the beginning of the church service begins, only certain things are acceptable?  I've been sincerely asking this question for awhile now.  I have yet to receive an answer.  Worship is an outflow of Christian life in community.  It is not a specified time for praying, singing, preaching, etc.  The Church has set a time aside for that, and that's okay, but that doesn't make it mandatory.  I participate in weekly worship services and would not do otherwise, but let's not pretend that the Bible anywhere lays out the idea.  Worship involves many things and is a way of life.  It cannot be distilled into a "service."

    Now, what is the motivation behind the RP?  I think there are many.  Many of the men I know hold to the RP.  They do so because they believe the Bible and want to serve God to the best of their abilities.  I respect that.  On the other hand, I fear that our championing of the RP may be more about protecting our own cultural and traditional norms than about adhering to God's Word?  

     I think this may even be subconscious.  Think about it.  How closely does our worship really resemble that which we find in the Old or New Testament.  Preaching as we know it is very different from the teaching done in ancient times.  Singing is quite different as well.  Dancing was a major part of worship as well, but most Evangelical and Reformed churches would be horrified if dancing was practiced during their services.  Our knowledge of ancient Jewish and Christian worship is somewhat limited in the modern church, and so we assume our way is right.  Our quibbles are made to look inconsequential when we compare our worship to what the Bible really prescribes.

    Another question that the RP raises is, "What is man allowed to determine?"  Time?  Place?  Order of elements?  Level of involvement of certain participants?  Where do we draw the line?  How do we decide what is an essential part of worship that only God can decide and what is up to the individual church?  This issue illustrates the inherent problems with the RP.  If our application of the RP is subjective and never looks the same twice, what use is the RP in the first place?

    I no longer hold to the RP in any strict sense.  However, I do believe that we ought to do our best to please God through worship, and God has told us what pleases Him.  He wants us to sing to Him.  He wants us to learn about Him.  He wants us to pray to Him.  As New Testament Christians, we are supposed to worship God in a way that best fits these criteria and maintains unity.  Why does it have to be more complex than that?  Why does everything have to be black and white?    

    P.S.  These are just some random thoughts, loosely thrown together.  This is a topic in which I am growing and which I am rethinking continually.  I hope I have been gracious and have not offended any of my brethren.  I sincerely respect the desire to hedge our worship by God's worship.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary