Skip to main content

To Judge or Not to Judge...you be the Judge....

    An issue that is hot in the Christian world is "To judge or not to judge?"  Jesus specifically said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged," right?  He did in fact say that (or something approximate), but what did He mean?  Did He mean that you are not to make a moral judgment in your own mind regarding another person's behavior?  Did He mean that we ought to accept any and all behavior?  Was He telling us that we should never, ever, absolutely never ever tell anyone else that what they are doing is forbidden by Scripture?  Should the elders of the Church wink at sin? 

    I don't think so.  If we balance Scripture against Scripture, other passages make it clear that Jesus meant none of those things.  Passages such as Matthew 18 and Galatians 6 suggest that Christian "iron sharpening iron" is not only permissible, but commendable.  The key is that we must do so humbly, with correct motives, and only so far as Scripture is explicit.  

    Without going into all the different passages on the subject, allow me to offer an illustration that I think would be helpful.  This point of view might show you how things are supposed to work in the body.  As with most issues, the heart of the matter is a matter of the heart.

    Think of your fellow brethren of fellow employees, or perhaps, as fellow siblings (quite a Biblical analogy).  You have no authority to tell your coworkers or siblings what to do, unless your superior has delegated some authority to you.  You have no right to establish rules for them.  You have no right to punish them when they don't abide by those rules.  This is how the Bible views co-Christians.  "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls," says Paul in Romans 14:4. 

    That being said, if you were to see your brother breaking a rule of which he may or may not be ignorant, what would you do?  If your priorities were the well-being of your brother and the pleasure of your parents, what would you do?  You would certainly inform your brother of the error of his way.  You would seek to save your brother from punishment and your parents from disappointment and stress. 

    If you saw your coworker doing something that was against company policy, what should you do?  You, being a more informed employee, should seek to guide him and inform him of the infraction.  Perhaps he will listen, but perhaps he may not. 

    Brothers, sisters, and coworkers have to answer to God ultimately, but that doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to help them fulfill their duties.  It is the same with your fellow Christians.  They must ultimately answer to God, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do what you can to help them on their journey.  A wise man heeds correction.  A fool rejects anyone who disagrees with him. 

    Remember, your motives, your methods, and your attitudes must all being correct.  You must make sure to get the log out of your own eye first.  You must also have Biblical ground.  You may not impose your deductions and "safety fences" on your brethren. 

    Loving, united interaction of the body welcomes reproof and mutual edification.  We should all be open to giving and receiving reproof.  Sinful attitudes get in the way.  Pride is the biggest culprit.  As we mature as Christians, however, and as we draw closer to God and to each other, the Holy Spirit will work unity in the body. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary