Skip to main content

Psalm 144:3-4/Life is Short

"O Lord, what is man that you regard him,
or the son of man that you think of him?
Man is like a breath;
his days are like a passing shadow."

    Man, in his sinful state, is now worthy of the consideration of God.  It is God's consideration, however, that gives him worth.  For some reason God has loved His people, and that is not to be ignored.  We were created in His image, but we fell.  God has restored that image in all those for whom Christ died. 

    A recent tragedy has brought this passage to my mind.  A 19 year old I knew was involved in a car wreck and was pronounced dead on the scene.  No one saw it coming--no one but God.  When a dead is preceded by months or even years of ill health, families tend to get some of the mourning out before the death has even occurred.   The death of a young, healthy person takes us all off guard, however.  It hits you like a brick.  It doesn't even seem real yet, to be honest. 

    Sometimes death comes quickly, and so I give three pieces of advice tonight.  Firstly, pray for families who have lost members unexpectedly.  Don't just pray for the first couple of days or the first week though.  Remember them for several months.  Remember them occasionally for years to come, for it will become fresh with each birthday they don't celebrate with their loved one.  The wound will re-open each anniversary of the tragedy.  Pray for them continually because you just don't know when something will remind them of the time they can't spend with their son.  

    Secondly, consider your ways.  Are you living a life of which your parents would be proud?  Are you being faithful to the covenant in which you were raised?   Would your Savior say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" or would you most likely hear, "Get away from me you workers of iniquity!"  Is your heart full of faith?  Is your life full of evidence of that faith?  Do not bank on time to reform in the future.  You may not have it.  Man is insignificant in the face of the grand universe, but God has given us the opportunity to live lives that have eternal significance.  Embrace that opportunity.  Live for God, and not for yourself.

    Thirdly and finally, thank God--for the safety of those you love and for your own safety.  How many times have you avoided a car accident by the skin of your teeth?  How many times have you narrowly missed a wreck that could have proved vital?  Don't take life for granted people!  Man is like a breath.  Thank God for every one. 

    Drive safely and tell people you love them.  Leave the rest in God's hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Reasons I Affirm Paedocommunion

If you have interacted with me on social media, you know that I have always been outspoken on the issue of Paedocommunion .  It is a theological position and a liturgical practice about which I am passionate.  Having been raised, and having raised my children, at the Table, I cannot imagine attending a church that didn't allow PC.  I hope that when I am old and gray, I will still be an advocate for bringing little children to the Sacrament. Throughout the 12 years that I have had this blog, I have written scattered thoughts on the topic, but it appears that I have never written a concise summary of my reasons for affirming PC.  I was thoroughly convinced that I had, but I can't seem to locate it, so I guess I never did.  So, to rectify the omission, here are four reasons I hold to PC. 1) Paedocommunion is Biblical.   Any discussion of the topic should start here, and I would hope that both sides of the debate would make this assertion.  However, let me clarify what I mean when

1 Corinthians, the Covenant Hermeneutic, & Paedocommunion

As an adherent to Paedocommunion  (hereafter PC), I have always found it painfully ironic that Credocommunionists use 1 Corinthians 11 to withhold children (among others) from the Table.  One can imagine St. Paul shaking his head as he watches theologians using his discussion of unity at the Table to divide the body at the Table.  You're missing the point! he would say in exasperation.  Not only does 1 Corinthians 11 not forbid PC; I would go so far as to say that there is no better defense of PC in the New Testament than the epistle of 1 Corinthians. Credocommunionist logic is pretty straightforward.  1 Corinthians 11:28 says, "Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup."  If, they argue, one is unable to fulfill the exhortation to examine himself, then he may not eat of the bread and drink of the cup.  This is a pretty logical deduction, right? Credobaptists would adamantly agree.  Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized...&quo

Why do you go to church on Sunday?

Why do you go to church on Sunday?  I would assume there are many reasons, but what is the primary reason that you get up on a cold, snowy Sunday morning and get your butt to church?  Further, why has the Church of Jesus Christ consistently gathered together on Sundays (among other days) for the last 2000 years? Throughout my 34 years of church attendance I would have proffered a variety of answers to that question.  As a child I'm sure I went to church because I had to, to see my cousins (who happened to be my best friends), to get bread and wine (weekly communion for the win), etc.  As my faith matured in adulthood these reasons remained, hopefully deepening, but to them were added concepts like rest and theological training. As I moved into Anglicanism I was struck by the deliberate focus on worship .  Why do Christians gather on Sunday morning?  To worship God!  Are teaching and fellowship important?  Absolutely!  Are they aspects of worship?  Certainly!  Is either the primary